Soil Bearing Capacity

SteveMack

My new SE Has said for our extension if we get a GI done so we have the soil bearing capacity we can potentially reduce our foundation spec.  Existing house is built on sand/soil from what I know of local area and from a 6m deep hole United Utilities recently dug about 100m away from our house (Granted a lot can change in 100m I agree)

I've been quoted £1400 for 2 micro bore holes and report, is it even worth it at this cost or is there a cheaper way to proove what we need/should I be paying less?  I've already dug down to our existing foundations to check existing size

As the SE what he expects. Our ground condition report involved digging two holes with a digger rather than "micro bole holes". Perhaps even ask him to recommend a company and what he thinks it should cost in your area.

You might also get a percolation test done at same time if you will need soakaways or similar.

Edited by Temp
  • Like 1

Has there been any extensions done locally to you ? Go and ask what they did. Have a drive around and chat to a local builder doing similar, get a feel for what is generally done around your way. 

I spoke with 3 local developments and knew I was going to have to pile mine without getting a survey. 

• Like 1

On 29/07/2020 at 22:09, Russell griffiths said:

Has there been any extensions done locally to you ? Go and ask what they did. Have a drive around and chat to a local builder doing similar, get a feel for what is generally done around your way. 

I spoke with 3 local developments and knew I was going to have to pile mine without getting a survey. 

Our estate is quite small off a main road consisting of 24 houses, 1 has an extension but the people who extended it moved house 3 years ago before we lived here :(

Behind us is nothing but farmers fields for miles too; so I'm very limited with this method :(

Edited by SteveMack