Fire sprinkler

Alexphd1

After reading a few threads on fire sprinkler systems on ebuild, I thought I would start a new thread over here.  Although I have not had it part of my building warrant, I like the idea of a sprinkler system. I then came across the uponor aquasafe system. I think this simplifies the installation and keeps the cost down. Am I getting carried away to even considering a sprinkler system? I did read Wales was going to make it mandatory for residential new builds a few years ago, what ever happened to this? 

http://www.uponor-usa.com/residential-fire-safety/ahj/how-aquasafe-works.aspx

I also found a usa seller willing to ship the system to UK. My idea was to use mlcp pipe as used in my domestic water side but upgrade my insulation to class O insulation such as armaflex. 

I have to put sprinklers into a second floor room that is open to the first floor.

I am not sure what building control would make of a system that has plastic pipe and no separate water supply. I have to have a tank in case the water supply is cut off in a fire and I believe copper piping for the sprinkler system.

However they are not overly expensive to install. People on line suggest £10-15 per square metre in a new build. This could be offset by not needing fire doors etc.

1 hour ago, AliG said:

I have to put sprinklers into a second floor room that is open to the first floor.

I am not sure what building control would make of a system that has plastic pipe and no separate water supply. I have to have a tank in case the water supply is cut off in a fire and I believe copper piping for the sprinkler system.

However they are not overly expensive to install. People on line suggest £10-15 per square metre in a new build. This could be offset by not needing fire doors etc.

I'm doing a flat where it's on the 2nd and 3rd story. BC have requested a sprinkler system and a protected lobby so I think I still have to fir fire doors. Is it common for sprinklers to negate the installation of fire doors? That would be a fine chunk of cash to put towards the sprinklers, and they're seemingly quite inconspicuous and unobtrusive ( as opposed to the horrible things I had visualised in my head ). 

Fire doors are pretty horrible in a domestic setting, so if sprinklers negate them then it should be something we look to discuss further here for sure :)