Multiple projects and building regs

monsieurjava

Hi

I'm considering engaging some builders for a couple of project - a kitchen diner installation including the removal of the wall. And redoing the bathroom which could include removing the chimney breast. Ideally we would do these things at slightly different times and possibly by the same but potentially by different companies.

Q1- In terms of building regulations, do you know if I can submit drawings for both in the same application? I've read somewhere that one the work commences it's valid three years. So I was wondering if that would still qualify if we did the works at slightly different times. So maybe doing the bathroom this year and the kitchen at a later year. How would the inspections work in this case?

Q2- I read I can get a "Competent Person" from the CPS scheme, but when looking at the website, it doesn't seem to cover the buliding/structural engineering trades. Am I missing something?

Q3- Is the process reasonably easy to do ourselves? e.g. hire a structural engineer, submit plans, start work, inspection, done?

Thanks

Chris

I’m not really sure what regulations you are referring to but there’s nothing in a kitchen or bathroom the building inspector wants to see, not unless they are in a new build or extension. 

They will want to see drawings for the wall coming out and will inspect the installation of the correct support, as well as the chimney, but very little else if it is just modernising an already in place structure. 

@monsieurjava It sounds like the only notifiable BR works are the structural alterations relating to the wall (for the kitchen) and the chimney breast (for the bathroom)? Assuming this is the case, there isn’t really any major saving in putting them under one BR application so just split them up as two applications as they will be dealt with in two phases anyway.

Hi both

Thanks for the answers. I assume I would need a full application (as opposed to a notice?) for the chimney breast and a separate one for the load bearing wall coming down?

I guess I wanted to avoid 2 apps cos they are £444 in Croydon!

Thanks

Chris

One problem is that BCO can quit their jobs and the new one might have different ideas on what you need to do. For that reason I probably wouldn't keep one application open for many years. 

1 hour ago, monsieurjava said:

Hi both

Thanks for the answers. I assume I would need a full application (as opposed to a notice?) for the chimney breast and a separate one for the load bearing wall coming down?

I guess I wanted to avoid 2 apps cos they are £444 in Croydon!

Thanks

Chris

There isn’t any reason why you couldn’t submit Building Notice applications for both projects. There are certain works that do not allow you to submit a BN application, e.g. building over or within 3m of a public sewer. BN applications are commonly used for minor works of which these would be classed as.