Overthinking my roof again

dnb

I have battens and counterbattens in a pile on site now. Happy days... Next job is to get them nailed/screwed etc to the SIPS roof.

Reading through BS55xx requirements, it indicates 65mm x 3.35mm nails are required unless another nail size has demonstrated equivilent pullout force. I was considering (on the advice of the SIPS provider) using Paslode nailgun to speed the job up. This would use 75mm x 3.1mm nails (or 63mm x 3.1mm nails, but these are probably smaller than required).

I found a PDF online about nailguns and roofing battens saying they weren't prohibited but there was some paperwork to demonstrate compliance to the BS, and at least one manufacturer of nails  and guns had gone through the process and passed the test.  But no further information of course. Has anyone got anywhere with this or do I just have to take longer with my trusty old hammer?

Thanks

Deffo annular / ring- shank nails. 
If I’m ever worried about 2 bits of wood working themselves apart over time, heat / cool / wet / dry cycles etc, I dovetail nail for belt and braces. 
Basically it’s just two nails at each point, fired in at opposite angles from the same place, about 1/2” apart, at an angle of 30-40 degrees. That V means the nails fight against each other if the timber is pulled / tries to move away.

If you’re really bothered, glue and nails will be another option, dependant on how susceptible the substrate is to delamination. 
Dovetail nail a couple of bits of wood together with ring shanks and see the difference for yourself. 

Thank you! I'm not worried about things coming apart at all. I trust that ringshank nails work pretty well - after all, the house is held up with them!

I am much more concerned with some "trivial" bit of paperwork catching me out and causing problems with building control, the structural warranty (wouldn't have bothered but I will need to juggle finances at the end of the build) or that prevents or delays eventual occupancy.

Buy the proper Paslode nails and crack on - they won’t move ..!! Good news is with a SIP roof is that you can nail at 300 centres as you have no rafters to aim for with the counterbattens..!

Plenty of online vendors to get the cheapest price.