Costa Del Slough

freshy

13 hours ago, Bored Shopper said:

what a gorgeous plot! Huge potential.

We're nearby at J13 down the road, are now 2 months post-completion (bungalow to a normal house).

Thank you, we just received approval for a new single dwelling ?. What were your lessons learnt and the biggest challenges you faced?

Congrats on approval!

Lesson 1: someone else's common sense is not your common sense.

Lesson 2: spend as much time on site as possible and do not let anyone stand between you and your build. Our Builder-1 and PM tried to pull it off, with dire consequences.

Lesson 3: you will know your design and your plans by heart. You are the one who knows 100% what does where. Do not expect your builders know it that well, they will sometime consult plans, but often ignore them. Unless you check and make sure this / that outlet/feature etc etc goes in this/that particular place, it won't happen. 

Lesson 4: confirm everything in writing, no matter how small. If you discuss putting niche recesses in your bathroom with your tiler on site, do not presume that he'll remember what you both have just agreed. I would sneak onto site once the team left for the day and leave A4 size sticky notes in key places with large letters "NICHE 300x400 HERE" etc etc - that was the only way I ended up with the exact thing I wanted.

Lesson 5: talk to this Forum, this is an bottomless well of construction wisdom and real-life experience. We'll cheer you up / knock you on the head / give you a magic kick or just have a virtual  drink with you - this place is truly blessed :)))

Lesson 6: no matter how stressful the process, enjoy it - you'll miss it once you're done! :)

• Thanks 2