Spa bath and digital shower

Hi everyone,

We’re going to have our bathroom refitted in the very near future and we’ve decided we’d like a spa bath and a digital shower (not pumped but digitally controlled)

Bath: https://www.thewhirlpoolbathshop.com/single-ended-baths/aquaestil-plane-solo-14-jet-whirlpool-bath

shower: https://www.plumbworld.co.uk/mira-platinum-digital-shower-dual-concealed-101375-27988

I’ll have an electrician out to install the power but I wondered if anyone had any experience with this type of electrical install? The sort of cost to expect would be great too, we’re in south east London so a rough figure would be good as I’d rather not be overcharged!

I’m assuming that the electric will be taken from the plug socket in the bedroom next door, drilled through into the bathroom and then run through an RCD and isolator? Is it possible to have an isolator in the bathroom on a pull cord above the door? (Please remember I’ve no experience of this and am not doing it myself, the bathroom is going to need to be replastered too and I want to make sure I have some knowledge for when an electrician visits for hiding of cables etc).

Can the digital shower unit be installed under the bath? The Mira documentation says it can but it doesn’t seem right to me?

Will there need to be more than one isolator with the electrics with different power going to two different pieces of electronics?

It’s only a small bathroom and we’re going to have a small stud wall fitted to conceal the pipes for the wall mounted shower.

Thanks in advance, any insight you can give me would be very much appreciated.

Robbie.

8EA5329D-6ADC-425B-8663-72EB4FC30F46.jpeg

Relatives have the Mira digital shower although theirs is pumped. It's best feature is the ability to have a second controller outside the shower although that's mainly a benefit if it takes awhile for the hot water to get to the shower in your house. As I recall theirs tells you when the water is upto temperature.

I'm not an electrician but found this from NICEIC....

https://www.niceic.com/www.niceic.com/media/PDF/FactSheet-Bathroom-A4-4pp.pdf

Whirlpool tub: Increasing numbers of homeowners are turning luxury into a reality by installing spa baths. Pumps are fitted underneath the bath and an isolator switch must be located outside the bathroom to turn off the mains power and be RCD protected.

The work is notifiable so the electrician must be a member of a "competent person scheme" sometimes advertised a Part P scheme member and he should notify Building Control for you.

Edited by Temp

Yes the Mira can go under the bath. You can use a single supply to both using a single RCD and then use fused spur connections (the shower needs one with 3A from memory) under the bath as they are deemed not accessible. 

Mira comes with a 10m cable for the controls - you can get the dual outlet bath/shower one that fills then bath via the shower unit and means your bath doesn’t need taps. Looks very neat and will save you on buying taps. 

I would think carefully about the spa option and if you'll actually use it. I one fitted in my bath and I regret it. I hardly use it and it just becomes a place for dirt to sit (in the pipework) and also for limescale to form from the jets - so you have to keep on top of cleaning the limescale! I only put mine on now to clean out the pipework...............