French Self-builders

Cerisy

Greetings and thanks guys for starting the Buildhub.

We, my wife and myself, are now living in our self-build here in rural Normandy.  We started in Oct 2012 and moved in last July, 2015.  Not bad for a couple of pensioners.  We are nearly finished, just doing the cupboards on the landing, which will allow us to finish the landing flooring, strip the plastic off the Iroko staircase and see the staircase in all it's glory for the first time!  Okay, so we still have to agree on the finish on the Iroko, but all in good time.

The build is based on the PassivHaus principles and is small budget, low energy.  I'm a retired Architect which helped with the plans, basic construction understanding, etc, but not on the actual build details.  Putting a design on paper and handing to a builder to erect is completely different to having to decide on the multitude of details on site, such as how to seal around the openings, how to finish the timber cladding against the windows, etc, etc.  Great fun, but seriously hard work.

Happy to show anyone around - it's a beautiful tranquil area of northern France.

Regards, Jonathan

• Like 1

Aha! Just what we need ... an international sub-section of buildhub... and an international sub-section of our checklists. And since you are an architect, what do you think about this? What would you add, and tell us (and everyone else),why?

When you have some spare time that is.

Bienvenue!

Ian

Oh, by the way is that Cerisy on the Somme?