connecting inspection chambers together - its a stupid question!

redtop

so when I have dug my trench and connect the 2 ICs together with the UG pipe... how do I manage to given the pipe goes into the coupler, up to the stop and so on, so how do you fit the last bit of pipe given it will be cut longer than the gap so it can fit into the coupler....

You fit the pipe into the IC then move it back into position. You can use plain ends and slip couplings but fitting the first IC then it’s pipework and work toward the second one. Once you’ve got the pipework in then bed it in with a dry mix when it’s level. 

8 hours ago, redtop said:

...how do you fit the last bit of pipe...

It's a matter of giving yourself room to work. 

If both ends of the pipe run are fixed (you cant move or wiggle the IC) , first connect to the IC, then use a slip coupler to link the pipe. 

If the IC at one end is relatively free, then jiggle that to fit. 

By accident I over-dug one section of our drainage run. Work connecting the IC in that section was  much easier.  Enough room to squat down by the IC is very valuable, as is room enough to turn round - without treading on the unsupported pipe- in the trench. For me that meant another half day digging by hand.

The disadvantage is that you need more 10mm to backfill.  How mean am I ? 

36 minutes ago, ToughButterCup said:

It's a matter of giving yourself room to work. 

If both ends of the pipe run are fixed (you cant move or wiggle the IC) , first connect to the IC, then use a slip coupler to link the pipe. 

If the IC at one end is relatively free, then jiggle that to fit. 

By accident I over-dug one section of our drainage run. Work connecting the IC in that section was  much easier.  Enough room to squat down by the IC is very valuable, as is room enough to turn round - without treading on the unsupported pipe- in the trench. For me that meant another half day digging by hand.

The disadvantage is that you need more 10mm to backfill.  How mean am I ? 

have you been down to my trench ? slip coupler on order

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, redtop said:

have you been down to my trench ? slip coupler on order

If you are using slip couplers then you need to make sure that :

- Both pipes are properly chamfered

- Silicone lubricant is used on both seals / pipes

- the joint is marked accurately

With a slip coupling you need to get the ends of the pipes as close as possible, and mark half the depth of the fitting on both pipes not just one pipe as if there is a gap in the middle you want the coupling equidistant across the joint.