Vertical connection (drop) to public sewer

Conor

We started groundworks this week, and yesterday's job was to excavate and find the waste connection to the combined sewer in the back of the garden. As we're dropping the basement lever down over a meter below current house floor, we knew we'd have to remove the old foul line back to the sewer.

Turns out the pipe doesn't connect in at the manhole as thought, it just drops in to the sewer vertically, using a top tee. The old line simply had a downward facing tee and about a meter of vertical pipe connecting down to the sewer.

We need to connect our new foul line to this vertical connection. I'm not approaching the water company for a new connection and we're not touching the public sewer, just clamping on to existing clay pipe connection.

What's the best way to do this? Our new waste pipe will be about 0.5m above the clay pipe stub I'm thinking a long radius bend directly on top, with a full manhole just upstream - just outside the 3m "no build" area of the sewer. This will allow rodding if required.

Any issues with this? Would I be better off with two 45° bends? Or a Invert tee with pipe extending on to a rodding eye? Building control don't have guidence on this and their interest ends at the last manhole apparently.... 

Nb: public sewer is 400mm diameter and a fast flowing combined system. There's more water in it than the river at the bottom of the garden...

IMG_20200616_142527.jpg

IMG_20200616_142539.jpg

Have a play with fitting but I think off the vertical i'd perhaps pop a 45deg y juntion with another 45 getting you to 90 for your connection. Then I'd take the vertical up and try to put some kind of lid on it at surface level(I know most rodding points are suited for 45deg on the surface). Then the manhole 3m away as you say. I reality if it worked before fine it will work again but would be nice to have that vertical access for if anything ever went wrong

• Like 1

We were thinking that but there's  nowhere for the rodding eye as it'll be a rough landscaped area and a steep bank... would just get buried or destroyed! Went for the 90 degree bend and MH chamber 3m U/S.