Are SAPS calculations required for renovation of existing house?

Hi I got a question regarding SAPS I’m planning on opening up the whole of the back of my house and putting floor to ceiling glazing in, I know if it was an extension I’d need SAPS calculation to show how I was improving the building to justify the extra glazing (a lot more). What I wanted to know is do I need to justify the extra glazing if I’m just using the existing part of the house? I am planning on doing the work under a building notice and therefore don’t have building reg drawings etc so doing the SAPS calculation is difficult without these. I am in the process of upgrading the whole house and have started to make large improvements to the insulation throughout including adding triple glazing. Building control have implied that I need a SAPS when I spoke to them on the phone but I think they were getting confused about which part of the house I’m talking about, we have put up a small extension on the other side of the house but this didn’t have a large amount of glazing, the building control officer who I previously dealt with Isn’t available at present I want to add the new work to the existing building notice. hopefully I don’t need the SAPS or if I do there is a way to do it without detailed drawings.

Andy

It’s not an extension please read what I’m asking I’ve search all over the internet for an answer and can’t find one, I know what’s required if it’s an extension, I want to know if Its exempt if it is in the original structure,  just removing the walls and replacing them with glazing and the structural steels.

If windows enlarged the max area of new (& old) windows, door, rooflights should be no more than 25% of the floor area of the dwelling otherwise 'compensating measures' are required. See AD L1B. This could be as simple as convincing BCO that the 3G is better than existing windows or it could be full SAPs A lot will depends upon how clued up your BCO is and how fussy he is!

Best to resolve this now.

Allan thanks for your input he is fussy  it somethings have been a grey area with him, that is why I’m asking if I have to supply this information or if as Nod has said No which I assume he means I don’t have to. A slightly longer answer would have been clearer hopefully he can elaborate.