Summer house quandary?

Harleyboy69

Hi guys. I have built a summer house . 100x50 frame with 400mm centres. 30° trusses above. Upvc windows in three walls. All sat on a 400mm concrete slab. In your opinion would I be able to use a heavy roof tile ? Total area not exceeding 22sq m. Thanks for your time. Gra.

8 hours ago, Miek said:

That's a heck of a slab for a summer house!

We had a lorry load of hard core at the back of the house so we threw it all in the slab. Also I needed the base to be high to marry to a raised deck that we are also building! 

19 hours ago, Russell griffiths said:

Depends on the racking strength of your walls, downwards pressure is not a problem, but it could all fold up like a pack of cards if you have no racking strength. 

I was looking to put some 45s in it either in stud form or metal strap to allow for sway. Also the exterior will be clad in 18 osb prior to the ship lap. Would this suffice?

18mm osb is fine but it needs installing correctly 

sole plate needs securely fastening down then racking board needs to start with a full board stood up right, nail at the correct spacing and catching the first 3 studs, then repeat, don’t end up with a skinny bit on the corners, you should have full boards on the corners working away from them. 

If you have any internal walls dissecting a long run of external wall it might pay to turn that into a racking wall, you can just board the first 1200mm on the internal one and add strips to bring your plasterboard out flush. 

I take it you have no drawings for this just whinging it a bit, I’m no structural engineer but I have put up one or two timberframe houses so just going on what I had to do in the past. 

Have you goy the trusses up yet. 

• Like 1