Advice on attic ceiling junction with wall

looking for some advice on how to finish the plasterboard at the junction between ceiling and sloping wall in attic room. I have put two full sheets of plasterboard on the sloping part of the ceiling.  Another sheet has been fixed to the ceiling.  The issue is I am only left with about 35mm of a gap at the junction.  Do I just cut a thing strip of plasterboard and piece it in and let the tape and finishing take care of it.  I have battened it all out so I have a fixing for screwing the small strip to.  I am keen to give the tape and finisher a good straight join to work with.  I have attached a drawing which hopefully shoes the problem.

Attic Ceiling Junction03052020.jpg

I take it you have fitted a 1200mm wide board on it's side and the length of the sloping part is 1235mm hence the gap?

If so i would have put the boards vertical and cut to the exact length.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Drew1000 said:

Do I just cut a thing strip of plasterboard and piece it in and let the tape and finishing take care of it.

I would - don't see a problem with it so long as you have good fixing.

10 hours ago, Drew1000 said:

ProDave, I have fitted two 1200 boards on there side, (one on top of the other, staggered)

So fit the infill.  But a note to anyone else doing this, put the boards upright and cut to length so no infill bit needed.

34 minutes ago, ProDave said:

So fit the infill.  But a note to anyone else doing this, put the boards upright and cut to length so no infill bit needed.

I know plasterboard is cheap Dave but wouldn't that lead to quite a bit of wastage. Not sure I could justify that for something that should never show.

1 minute ago, jfb said:

I know plasterboard is cheap Dave but wouldn't that lead to quite a bit of wastage. Not sure I could justify that for something that should never show.

No, because almost certainly the slightly less than half a board offcut would be just right to do the vertical bit of wall up to the sloping ceiling.

I was surprised just how little waste there was when I boarded my house.  My philosophy was every offcut was stood up or laid down so you could clearly see it, and I was constantly looking for places where an offcut would work nicely and get used up.  All I ended up with as waste really was little slivers of board where such offcuts were trimmed a little more to make them fit their destination.

In many cases if I needed an offcut to finish a run and I didn not have one, I would not cut it from a fresh board, but leave it out, and wait until a suitable piece became available.

36 minutes ago, Drew1000 said:

I take it that would mean having a tapered edge with square edges along the 10 meter length of room.  I take it this is not an issue for taping and finishing ?

Not at all a problem.  Tapers have to deal with square edge to square edge on a large ceiling.

5 hours ago, ProDave said:

even better for that scenario would have been to order imperial sheets and fit vertically, however, i would have kept one sheet tight to ceiling the other tight to wall and infilled the centre.