Local Authority Self Build Register

Mattyb121

Hi, 

I was just wondering has anyone joined a local authority self build register and been given/offered a plot?

Is it worth joining the register? 

Kind Regards

Matthew

Edited by Mattyb121

I haven't joined it but I know someone who is going to, in case it helps when he wants to get planning permission on a site he is keen on. It looks like a govt box ticking exercise when you read the guff. 

No it's just a way to pressure council's into granting planning permission. It a bit like the situation for traveller sites. Council's are meant to work out how many traveller sites are needed and grant permission accordingly. If they don't then travellers stand more chance of getting permission to live on a green field site of their choosing, usually granted at appeal.

http://localselfbuildregister.co.uk/important-news-about-your-right-to-build/

New legislation coming into force on 31st October 2016 stipulates that local authorities in England have a three-year deadline from that date to grant planning permission with respect to a sufficient number of serviced plots for self-build and custom housebuilding. They will calculate this number using data from their local registers. So once you are on your local register, your details should count towards this total.

For example, if 500 people applied to go on the register for a particular local authority during a year, over the following three-year period the council would have to grant planning permission for development that could include self build or custom build housing up to a total of 500 homes.

If during the following year another 400 people registered, the council would need to provide planning permission for those plots within three years of the end of that year – i.e. the planning requirements are calculated on a rolling three-year basis.

This isn’t the same as offering plots for sale to people on the list, so just being on the local register may not guarantee that you will be offered a plot – although it may do, depending on the council. However it should have the effect of creating more opportunities for self build and custom build in your area. We recommend that you still need to look out for plots and take action if you want to buy one.

Sorry about the formatting of the following. Just ignore the quote markers. I can't delete them

Your best best bet is to find your own plot, then check to see if the council have granted enough under the three year rule. If not then it might help you get planning permission even if you aren't actually on the list. 

Council's are also meant to have granted enough permissions for 5 years worth of development. In some areas they have achieved that and it's making it harder to get PP on new plots. If they haven't granted PP to enough self builders that might help get around this 5 year land supply block.

Read "How to find and buy a building plot" by Roy Speer. Might be a bit dated but still worth a read.

As I recall council's charge a fee to be on the register and most do nothing to help you find a plot, however some council's are more proactive.

Edited by Temp

5 hours ago, Temp said:

For example, if 500 people applied to go on the register for a particular local authority during a year, over the following three-year period the council would have to grant planning permission for development that could include self build or custom build housing up to a total of 500 homes.

So the best thing to do is to get everyone you know to get on the register.

Then the council is obliged to grant permission.  That way houses will get built.

I haven't looked at the legislation but it's not clear to me that they would be forced to grant planning permission. A lot of the time appeals are won or lost by appeals inspectors balancing many factors either one way or another. Sometimes one thing trump's another and sometimes it doesn't.  I reckon if it was finely balanced on normal planning issues then the councils failure might swing it your way. If it's not close then it probably won't.