Bi-fold doors question

sw879

We need a fire rated door for our kitchen and had  planned on having a crittall style bi-fold door . However, after hours of searching and making  enquiries to various companies (e.g. tod’s doors) this doesn’t seem possible.

Is it correct that bi-fold doors can’t be fire rated?

Any help/guidance would be appreciated.

Thank you

7 hours ago, sw879 said:

We need a fire rated door for our kitchen and had  planned on having a crittall style bi-fold door . However, after hours of searching and making  enquiries to various companies (e.g. tod’s doors) this doesn’t seem possible.

Is it correct that bi-fold doors can’t be fire rated?

Any help/guidance would be appreciated.

Thank you

I’ve recently finished a self build for a family and the lady of the house is heart broken for this reason

The Ground floor is 245m2 she was wrongly advised by her architect that she could split the dining area from the rest of the house with large bifolds 

The dining area is open to the kitchen 

This relates to the house being three story 

BC have stated that to have the bifolds She must install fire doors between the kitchen and diner 

I guessing yours is more than two story 

9 hours ago, Roundtuit said:

Hi. Just for clarity, this door is between the kitchen and what?

2 hours ago, nod said:

I’ve recently finished a self build for a family and the lady of the house is heart broken for this reason

The Ground floor is 245m2 she was wrongly advised by her architect that she could split the dining area from the rest of the house with large bifolds 

The dining area is open to the kitchen 

This relates to the house being three story 

BC have stated that to have the bifolds She must install fire doors between the kitchen and diner 

I guessing yours is more than two story 

Thank you for your replies. Our kitchen leads out into the hallway and I’ve attached a plan for you to see (sorry I couldn’t find one with measurements).

We didn’t want our kitchen door to be visible at first and had initially planned on a pocket door but because of an upstairs neighbour’s pipe work that runs through our home we couldn’t incorporate one.

We decided on a bi fold door instead and had intended on keeping it folded away to the left behind the stud wall but we are struggling to find one.

45BF3722-6141-4A89-9FD4-E387CDFE1D62.jpeg

1 hour ago, nod said:

Are you three story 

If you are over two 

You don’t need a fire door from your kitchen to living areas 

We are a two storey. The kitchen is upstairs with a guest toilet and living dining room. Downstairs are the two bedrooms two bathrooms.

Do you mind sharing where it says we don’t need a fire door? I believe you but I just want to have some evidence to show the building inspector/our builders.

thank you so much!

2 hours ago, sw879 said:

We didn’t want our kitchen door to be visible at first and had initially planned on a pocket door but because of an upstairs neighbour’s pipe work that runs through our home we couldn’t incorporate one.

4 minutes ago, sw879 said:

We are a two storey. The kitchen is upstairs with a guest toilet and living dining room. Downstairs are the two bedrooms two bathrooms.

Do you mind sharing where it says we don’t need a fire door? I believe you but I just want to have some evidence to show the building inspector/our builders.

The fire door requirement may well be because of "your upstairs neighbour", if I've read these posts correctly.  The requirement will be driven by the nature of the building, rather than that of one dwelling within it, so a bit more detail about that may help decide whether what you're being told is correct.