Plasterboarding over joist hangers

MJNewton

The joist hangers on our timber I-joists sit proud (2-3mm) of the base of the joist and I am wondering how best to deal with this when it comes to plasterboarding the ceiling given the non-flat surface this creates.

I understand that it is common practice to notch solid joists to ensure a perfectly flat surface however whilst I haven't managed to find anything from the I-joist manufacturer (James Jones) about it I am mindful of the warnings (printed every couple of metres) not to cut into the flanges and the NHBC standards do say not to notch them on the hangers.

I was thinking I could use 2-3mm hardboard packing towards the end of the joist to at least give me something to screw through without risk of cracking the board and just letting the plasterer deal with the slight bend in the ceiling when he skims. Perhaps this bend won't be noticeable anyway and will fall within the tolerance of unevenness across the ceiling anyway?

Or I could notch out the plasterboard instead over the hangers, noting that I'll be likely using 15mm board and so should be able to tolerate the loss of material if that's better?

If they are on the underside of the floor joists 

They should be notched into the top side and floor boarded over 

You will have to counter Baton before plaster boarding

2 minutes ago, Oz07 said:

Just fly it over. All i've ever done. Perhaps a whack with a hammer with a lump of timber between if it is excessively proud but the timber to timber hangers aren't usually overly thick.