sewage pump

deuce22

If you can, sink a mini pump station in, that would be best.  They have a high level alarm.  The outgoing pipework is pressurised and often 2" diameter.  It connects into the 110mm pipework.  Get one that pumps solids, not a macerator.  Avoid Saniflo like the plague.

Is this what your talking about. https://www.tanks-direct.co.uk/sewage-and-waste/sewage-pumping-stations/single-sewage-pumping-stations/sewage-pump-station-190-litre-tank.html

There will be living space above the garage with a shower, toilet and 2 sinks. I was told to just put a macerator under the stairs and have all the pipework going into that. I'm wondering if this will be sufficient and how long it will last.

Yes that the thing.  The macerator type units, like the Saniflo, are a complete nightmare by comparison.  They are noisy and when they fail (as they will) they are the most singularly unpleasant thing to try and fix.  We had a pump station at our house in Scotland, pumping up a few metres to the sewer in the road.  Never a moments trouble, and ours was relatively easy to swap the pump if needed, as it had a chain to pull it up.

I just prefer the pump stations with decent sized outlet pipework.  They are quieter and far more reliable.  Because this is not the only WC, you don't need to mess around with 2 pumps / service contract etc.

No plumber will want to see to your broken Saniflo.

36 minutes ago, deuce22 said:

Ok, thanks.

I do want something reliable and it doesn't seem to cost a fortune. So do these just sit in an inspection chamber like the image.

190s_pump_install_200x200.jpg

The one we had was like that, albeit in a slightly larger chamber (but it dealt with the whole house).  Definitely orders of magnitude better than a macerator pump, like the Saniflo or similar, and virtually silent, which is a big plus.  The macerator ones make a heck of a row, and because they are operated by a float switch they come on for any nocturnal trip to the loo, even if it isn't flushed.

Great. I know the noise of macerators are horrible. I'm living in a caravan on site and have 2 for the toilets, the one seems to come on for a short time every now and then for no reason. Good to know that the other is almost silent. Thanks for your recommendation.

Plenty of pump stations online - 600 litres is really your minimum you want and as it’s not the main house then just go for a single pump. 

Most use 50 or 63mm MDPE and it ideally should go to a 280/350mm Inspection chamber which then flows into a 110mm pipe into the main line to the sewer. And make sure they fit an elbow on the end of the MDPE... and definitely make sure the lid on the chamber screws down ..!!!

• Like 1