Timber Frame

Jeff

Can anyone tell me if a timber frame is acceptable in the UK?

I have a NON-listed 1850 Victorian detached property, and want to build a garage.  Coming from Canada, I would like to use techniques that I am familiar with, and timber framing is popular there.  Is it generally accepted in the UK?

Would the attached be a suitable style of drawing to use for a planning application?

IMG_0328.JPG

IMG_0329.JPG

Timber Frame is a perfectly acceptable form of construction here. Plenty on here have done, are doing or plan to do timber frame houses.

As long as your plans are to scale and meet the requirements of your LPA then you'll be fine. There is no need to use CAD generated drawings. Lots of information on the portal: https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200232/planning_applications

Don't forget you'll need to engage building control too.

P.S. Welcome! :)

Edited by Barney12

Winter/spring here can be quite wet but it looks like you have the concrete base arranged so the frame is raised well above local ground levels. It also looks like you have avoided a common mistake which is to lay a flat topped slab that is slightly larger than the building. They forget that this allows water to run under the cladding to contact the frame. It looks like you have a step in the concrete to prevent this. A few courses of bricks or even a visible brick plinth is sometimes used. 

Building Control will probably want details of the damp proof membrane (DPM), damp proof course (DPC - between concrete and sole plate) and the wall membrane.  

Perhaps consider a linear drain across the door opening if you haven't already planned this.

Are there any purlins planned? Perhaps I misunderstand the drawing but if the clear span of the rafters is 18 feet they will need to be deeper than 6".

I can't tell your rafter spacing but that might be different between Canada and UK. Here it's normally 400 or 600mm.

Perhaps it's just me but what are "lookouts"? 

The planners only want to know what it will look like from the outside not the internal structure. So you can remove a lot of the detail but need to add info on the cladding (wood/render? Colour/stain?). They will also want to see how it relates to the rest of the house so you will probably need to draw the house and extension together.

The drawing you have done is more suitable for Building Control Approval which is the next step after getting Planning Permission.

Edited by Temp

On 11/19/2016 at 10:02, ProDave said:

Can you explain in the second picture what the "Moat" is please? ( I really don't think it's what I know of as a moat)

Sorry, we call it a "moat".  It is actually a drainage ditch that runs the circumference of the cellar.  It is about 18" wide, with the wall of the house on one side and a 6" block on the outside,  It is about 4' deep. It mainly collects leaves :).