Is it a Septic Tank or just an old Cesspit?

Dave and Helen

Hi,

I’m trying to determine if the waste system we have on our building plot is a septic tank or a cesspit.

The property is an old water pumping station, which we believe was build in the 30s, or possibly earlier. 

There is only one apparent chamber, one manhole, which leads into a circular brick structure which holds in the region of 3500L.

The tank is currently only used by our neighbours, who live in what was the engineers cottage. Severn Trent sold the cottage off a long time ago, which is now separated from our plot by a brick wall. We need to work out how, legally to best deal with this with our neighbours, but could first do with knowing if it’s a septic tank or cesspit. The land registry state it’s a cesspit, but other documents mention a septic tank. 

Looking at a modern septic tank, they have more than one chamber, each with their own access hatch. So it would seem we have a cesspit, but it’s only emptied every 8 to 12 months, which seems a longtime for a cesspit. 

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Kind regards

Dave C

12 hours ago, Dave and Helen said:

So it would seem we have a cesspit, but it’s only emptied every 8 to 12 months, which seems a longtime for a cesspit. 

Probably, at some point, had a hole knocked in the bottom to let it soak away. Seems a common practice.

I've decided to give the last company who came to empty it a shout, to see if they can advise further. 

They seemed to suggest it was working ok, but as there are no records, who knows. 

It's going to be replaced anyway, I just need to negotiate with our neighbours about how we achieve this. 

Thanks for your input

Dave C