block and beam detail with step

Moonshine

I am laying out the base floor of the house, which has a step in it using a block and beam construction

830719240_blockandbeamstep.thumb.jpg.550306edc9f69603dd4b4b86e75b6d66.jpg

Above is my first stab at it, and i am not happy with the fact that there is a continuous line of bricks from the foundation to the  steps.

Surely there has to be a better way of breaking this line and creating a thermal bridge. 

The lower level screed and insulation could go on over the block line to the cavity insulation, and the rest would have to be timber stud up to the upper floor. Though this may need bracing when the upper floor screed is filled.

47 minutes ago, Moonshine said:

The lower level screed and insulation could go on over the block line to the cavity insulation, and the rest would have to be timber stud up to the upper floor.

so what's going on top of 3? the other option is to run a course of marmox, (other thermal break materials may be available), to break the cold bridge

54 minutes ago, Moonshine said:

The lower level screed and insulation could go on over the block line to the cavity insulation, and the rest would have to be timber stud up to the upper floor.

+1

I don't see a problem building a few steps on a screed base. 

54 minutes ago, Moonshine said:

Though this may need bracing when the upper floor screed is filled.

How about this... Fit some 4x2 (or 6x2?) shown in green, to prevent the top level screed flowing over the edge and to set the top level of the screed. Perhaps put some threaded studs with nuts on through the shuttering so you can later bolt it tighter to the screed. Then later clad the lot in something better like 14 or 21mm engineered oak. This would also raise the FFL to match any carpet or tiles (purple) on the top level.

steps.jpg.a9e262d0086f3c33d75c3ebe576926eb.jpg

Edited by Temp
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Simplysimon said:

so what's going on top of 3? the other option is to run a course of marmox, (other thermal break materials may be available), to break the cold bridge

It's the level of the kitchen. The house is split level by 0.6m

I will look at thermal break material.

Cheers

1 hour ago, Temp said:

+1

I don't see a problem building a few steps on a screed base. 

How about this... Fit some 4x2 (or 6x2?) shown in green, to prevent the top level screed flowing over the edge and to set the top level of the screed. Perhaps put some threaded studs with nuts on through the shuttering so you can later bolt it tighter to the screed. Then later clad the lot in something better like 14 or 21mm engineered oak. This would also raise the FFL to match any carpet or tiles (purple) on the top level.

steps.jpg.a9e262d0086f3c33d75c3ebe576926eb.jpg

I like this Idea, also thinking about it i could use a second layer of 100mm insulation vertically in the location of the tallest green line.

This could be held in place and used as shuttering

1 minute ago, Moonshine said:

I like this Idea, also thinking about it i could use a second layer of 100mm insulation vertically in the location of the tallest green line.

This could be held in place and used as shuttering

Yes although I would make sure the top step/edge is well supported down to the lower screed.  Don't rely on the threaded studs to carry vertical loads.