Solid Timber Parquet Flooring Acclimatization

Robbie

I'm getting ready to lay solid Ash parquet flooring which I've been keeping in an outbuilding up until now. Here is a link to the flooring we went for sized 22mm x 360mm x 60mm.

I've been looking for advice on acclimatizing the wood online and have found several different methods suggested:

• Bring the boxes of flooring in to the room in which they will be laid. Leave for about two weeks in their packaging. 
  • Bring the flooring in to the room in which they will be laid. Remove from packaging and stack in small piles for two weeks.

The flooring is currently plastic wrapped, with each package containing 50 lengths of parquet see image below.

flooring.thumb.jpg.df5168fb9d42441a25f5a714823429a1.jpg

I had thought I'd remove them from the packaging and stack them maybe 20 high with gaps between each board. I think if left the flooring in the packs it wont be able to adjust moisture content due to the more or less airtight plastic wrapping. At the same time I'm a bit worried about the timbers cupping or bowing whilst acclimatizing if i remove them from the packaging and they acclimatize too fast.

To make matters more interesting, I also have a wood burner as my only source of heating in the room which means the temperature will fluctuate a lot over the course of a day. If required I could add a small electric heater to keep the temperature more constant?

Anyone have previous experience of this or any advice?

Cheers,

Robbie

1 hour ago, Robbie said:

I'm getting ready to lay solid Ash parquet flooring which I've been keeping in an outbuilding up until now. Here is a link to the flooring we went for sized 22mm x 360mm x 60mm.

I've been looking for advice on acclimatizing the wood online and have found several different methods suggested:

• Bring the boxes of flooring in to the room in which they will be laid. Leave for about two weeks in their packaging. 
  • Bring the flooring in to the room in which they will be laid. Remove from packaging and stack in small piles for two weeks.

The flooring is currently plastic wrapped, with each package containing 50 lengths of parquet see image below.

flooring.thumb.jpg.df5168fb9d42441a25f5a714823429a1.jpg

I had thought I'd remove them from the packaging and stack them maybe 20 high with gaps between each board. I think if left the flooring in the packs it wont be able to adjust moisture content due to the more or less airtight plastic wrapping. At the same time I'm a bit worried about the timbers cupping or bowing whilst acclimatizing if i remove them from the packaging and they acclimatize too fast.

To make matters more interesting, I also have a wood burner as my only source of heating in the room which means the temperature will fluctuate a lot over the course of a day. If required I could add a small electric heater to keep the temperature more constant?

Anyone have previous experience of this or any advice?

Cheers,

Robbie

What you say is pretty much all you can do

Unpack the flooring and leave it where it’s going to be laid for week if possible As long as the place isn’t damp you should be ok 

If you employed a company to supply and lay

They would more likely turn up with it in there van 

Or drop off a couple of days before and do what you are doing  

• Like 1