Manifold Plumbing Advice - Flow and Return Pipes

Kdlt

Hello All,

I am part way through doing a complete renovation on my house and recently found the buildhub forums, which have provided some great knowledge and inspiration.

I am currently doing a complete re-plumb and after reading multiple threads on here and seeing Pics of NickTheWelsh Wizards manifold installs, i decided that was definitely the way to go. So, i've bought a load of Hep20 pipe and and several brass 4 way manifolds and have spent the last few days running all of the pipes for hot and cold water. Next i will need to run the pipes for all of the radiators. What is the buildhub best practice / recommended way of doing these? Do i run them all on separate pipe runs for flow and return from each rad back to manifolds in same way as the hot and cold pipes? Any tips on the best way to do it and which components to use would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance. 

Edited by Kdlt
Added detail
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 05/12/2019 at 17:30, Kdlt said:

Hello All,

I am part way through doing a complete renovation on my house and recently found the buildhub forums, which have provided some great knowledge and inspiration.

I am currently doing a complete re-plumb and after reading multiple threads on here and seeing Pics of NickTheWelsh Wizards manifold installs, i decided that was definitely the way to go. So, i've bought a load of Hep20 pipe and and several brass 4 way manifolds and have spent the last few days running all of the pipes for hot and cold water. Next i will need to run the pipes for all of the radiators. What is the buildhub best practice / recommended way of doing these? Do i run them all on separate pipe runs for flow and return from each rad back to manifolds in same way as the hot and cold pipes? Any tips on the best way to do it and which components to use would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance. 

How is your project going @MikeGrahamT21? I am renovating  the house in the same setup but plumbing not started yet. Please let us know your work process (and if you can share with pic)

2 hours ago, MikeGrahamT21 said:

I finished the radiator system over a year ago now, its worked really well, definitely as well as I expected

IMG_0336.thumb.JPG.e892c60e6d630ff86352b5a76c3bdabc.JPG

Do you know which manifold and pipe brand did they use?

I was suggested to use hep2o for manifold and pipe system as most of the European brands do not have 15mm standard pipes, but that 15mm is a  barrier pipe (pb or pex) without an aluminium layer (no MLCP). I wonder if that makes any difference in performance and long term.

Because we will connect 10+ radiators and each are 5 to 8 meters away from the manifold,  it was an pumped manifold. (same as the UFH) 

ps:  I was gonna ask the same questions to @Kdlt about the manifolds and pipe choices.

Everything came from this place: https://pswtradesuppliers.co.uk/

I used 16mm MLCP as I found that products such as Hep2o, and JG, although having an oxygen barrier (very important in a CH system), they only seemed to be viable up to about 50C, which is no good for CH, hence why I chose to use 16mm pipe and the relevant euro cones, which I found very easy. More importantly, the eurocones actually fit inside the normal TRVs/Lockshields, so instantly become compatible with little outlay. Oxygen barrier is very important as it will protect your radiators from corrosion.

I have a few radiators which are about 10m away from the manifold, and haven't noticed any issues without a pump, get a solid 2ltr/min flow on all of the rads when all are fully open.