Thermometer

Thedreamer

1 minute ago, Thedreamer said:

Can anybody recommend a thermometer that I would leave there and then collect data onto my phone/laptop. I don't have wifi at the house yet.

If you don't want to make your own (not hard or expensive, and can be very flexiable).

Then consider iButtons and a reader.

https://uk.farnell.com/c/semiconductors-ics/memory/ibuttons-accessories/ibuttons

• Like 1

The DS1920-F5 needs the reader connected to it all the time to get the data - it doesn't have any internal memory (or battery). The DS1921G-F5 thermochron does have some memory (for 2048 samples) and an internal lithium battery (so a limited life, not sure how long as I couldn't find the info in a quick scan of the datasheet). Using that thermochron, for example, you could set it up for a “mission” [¹] with sampling every 5 minutes (so lasting 5 * 2048 / 60 / 24 = 7.111 days) then go round with your laptop every Saturday morning to read them all.

On the other hand, at £25 each other solutions might be cheaper and less hassle depending on the power supply available on site. E.g., Raspberry Pi Zeros with DS1820 temperature sensors. Also, consider that an internet connection is not needed for Wi-Fi.

[¹] their word

56 minutes ago, Ed Davies said:

E.g., Raspberry Pi Zeros with DS1820 temperature sensors.

And a real time clock to be on the safe side.

58 minutes ago, Ed Davies said:

Also, consider that an internet connection is not needed for Wi-Fi.

Could use the hotspot on a phone, even if there is no 3/4G signal.

Not sure if that uses the phone clock when no signal.

One advantage of using wireless is that it is pretty simple to set up a Raspberry Pi, or similar Linux box, to get the data onto a PC.