ASHP (air to water)

ElliotS

Hi all,

I’m not sure if this has already been discussed but every persons situation is different I guess. Anyway, we are renovating a flat and we are looking to install an air source heat pump as there is no gas into the property. We have had a couple of people come out and see the building and they have said it’s possible but then nothing really has moved forward from there. This is completely new to us so we only know what we have read up online briefly.

so far we have been advised an 8kw system for the flat as it’s over 3 floors, I have already used an online tool for rads and took into account a 30% increase of output as suggested by the guys who visited us.

the main thing we want to know is are there any best brands or is there is package bundle anyone can recommend? We have had a quote of about £8500 +vat for full installation with a 200L water tank. The flat will only have 1 bathroom, small downstairs toilet and likely only 1 radiator per room.

we have electricians and plumbers (both can turn their hand to anything) for the job as part of the company, so if we can install it ourselves then we will.

please feel free to message me with any questions, I’d even be willing to speak to someone on the phone if it’s easier. Sorry if it’s brief but I’m quickly trying to get this out there so we can move forward

what heating system is in there now? 

what age of building  and how good is the insulation ?

sqm of floor area -?

seems strange a flat over 3 floors --

an old building with high ceilings?

remeber with AHP you cannot haver wtaer going to rads at same as a gas boiler --it is low temp heating where it gets its effiiency from

so rads need to be bigger with ashp at 40c or less   than a gas bioler at 60c -- need  half as big again 

15 hours ago, scottishjohn said:

what heating system is in there now? 

what age of building  and how good is the insulation ?

sqm of floor area -?

seems strange a flat over 3 floors --

an old building with high ceilings?

remeber with AHP you cannot haver wtaer going to rads at same as a gas boiler --it is low temp heating where it gets its effiiency from

so rads need to be bigger with ashp at 40c or less   than a gas bioler at 60c -- need  half as big again 

There currently is no heating system, it’s been empty for 50 years. The insulation is that of an 1800s build but not too much can be changed because of heritage. Windows are all single glazed wood frame too. Room sizes are as below:

Lounge: (middle floor)
4m
5m
H 2.5m

Kitchen:(middle floor)
3.2m
5m
H 2.5m

Bed1:(top floor)
5m
3.3m
H 2.2m

Bath(top floor)
2m
2.7m
2.2 h

Bed2(top floor)
5m
H 2.5m

Ground floor (sort of entryway/laundry area)
2m
3.2m
H 2.3m

I have taken into account the output of the ashp being lower than gas boiler.

if we were to get individual parts, what would we need to get? I know obviously the outside unit and cylinder (which we are looking at about 150l) but is there any extra cylinders or parts we will need besides the electric/plumbing gear?

please let me know if I’m completely missing anything.

If you fitted an UFH system on top of exsisting floors -you could do it in under 80mm --then reboard exterior walls with foam back board  --then you will be doing the right thing 

just chucking loads of heat in an old building is not the right thing to do at this stage 

sure somoen elas will come along and give you more advice 

but this is the time to improve the insulation  of the flat 

Ifi ts as old as you say then  re instate the window shttuers it would have had -to improve window insulation --or big thick expensive curtains