Velux kfc210 replacement key

AliG

Hi,

We have a Velux kfc210 smoke control unit, it opens a window automatically in the event of fire.

It has started to beep and the manual says it needs to be inspected/reset every 15 months.

But I have realised that no one gave me they key.

Frankly I have no idea why such things need locks on them, it is a pain and I am tempted just to break the lock.

But before doing this does anyone know if there is a generic key that I can buy, I did find the keys on line for almost £20(£24 with shipping)

I am not even sure that these are the right key, they are listed for a different product but they look right.

https://www.loftsolutions.co.uk/shop/velux-spares/velux-smoke-vent-spares/velux-kfx-100-keys

Thanks

image.png.951c8f36cd16a46dfd491590edd6c434.png

Edited by AliG

I have not seen these used in a single dwelling - just in stairwells for flats.  I guess because of this it needs to be anti tamper.

£20 for a key seems a bit cheeky.  Maybe explain to Velux that you were not issued with a key and see what they say.

There is a button inside that says "maintenance". You just push it for 5 seconds and it resets the counter. Once you open it up there is a row of lights that show if there are any issues with different parts of the system.

• 2 years later...

I've got a similar issue with a velux window connected to a smoke alarm. The window was forced some years ago and since then it hasn't opened. Now - for some reason! - it has suddenly decided to make a constant and really annoying noise.

Basically I don't care whether it's linked to the smoke alarm - what I really want is to stop the noise. If the window could open it would be better, but not strictly necessary - the noise is the priority! 

No one seems to want to come and look at it, neither fire alarm guys nor velux installers. Much buck passing is going on!

Any ideas? 

IMG-20220901-WA0008.jpg

There should be a box with up and down arrows to open and close the window. If it is a smoke vent it should be electrically actuated. Maybe using this to move it would fix it.

What kind of noise are we talking about?

6BC728DE-C7D5-4737-BDE2-23AE6C64FDF4.jpeg

• Like 1

16 hours ago, AliG said:

There should be a box with up and down arrows to open and close the window. If it is a smoke vent it should be electrically actuated. Maybe using this to move it would fix it.

What kind of noise are we talking about?

6BC728DE-C7D5-4737-BDE2-23AE6C64FDF4.jpeg

Thanks - it's a constant kind of whiny noise.

I've got a similar issue with a velux window connected to a smoke alarm. The window was forced some years ago and since then it hasn't opened. Now - for some reason! - it has suddenly decided to make a constant and really annoying noise.

Basically I don't care whether it's linked to the smoke alarm - what I really want is to stop the noise. If the window could open it would be better, but not strictly necessary - the noise is the priority! 

No one seems to want to come and look at it, neither fire alarm guys nor velux installers. Much buck passing is going on!

Any ideas? 

The whiny noise sounds like it might be a motor trying to open or close it, but it is jammed.

There should be a control box like the one I have shown that operates the window. If you find that you might be able to switch it off or reset it in some way to stop the noise, or is it only connected to the smoke alarm?

Even then it should have a power supply somewhere.You might be able to switch it off at your consumer unit. Now as to whether you want to switch off your smoke window, that is another mater, but I suspect it is not working anyway.