Best practice for ripping out our bathroom

H F

Mastic around the outside... removed most of it now. Still not moving.

Will try to deconstruct some the wood frame.

As a last resort, I’ll take to it with a hammer and teach it a lesson ?

2 hours ago, Home Farm said:

Thanks Ferdinand. Excellent points as always. 

We will definitely take our time and do this job properly.

i will read your articles tonight.

One of the more interesting things about mine was that the drain connection had been off the bottom of the bath's plughole perhaps since 2012 ? . Due to coupling not being connected tightly enough.

Plumber reckoned that 20% of the bathwater had been going into the slab.

On the upstairs there was minimal sound insulation, and the use of a non-flexible grout over electric ufh.

Ferdinand

37 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

Plumber reckoned that 20% of the bathwater had been going into the slab.

Wow. That sounds like a horror scenario.

I’ve found water damage already behind a section of wall tiles... by Saturday I hope to have everything fully gutted and will know the extent of what we’re dealing with.

Edited by Home Farm

Just now, Home Farm said:

I’ve water damage already behind a section of wall tiles... by Saturday I hope to have everything fully gutted and will know the extent of what we’re dealing with.

Are you considering tanking behind the new tiled area? 

13 minutes ago, Home Farm said:

We are going to remove the wall, because we want reposition the shower. Once the new wall is up, we will seal it (is that called tanking?) and tile and grout properly.

"Tanking" is a liquid applied membrane you paint/roller onto a primed surface. Reinforcing tape is used ag junctions between wall and floor and where different materials interface. This to take up movement. I used the Aquaseal 7.5m kit. This lad shows it being used:

26 minutes ago, Onoff said:

"Tanking" is a liquid applied membrane you paint/roller onto a primed surface. Reinforcing tape is used ag junctions between wall and floor and where different materials interface. This to take up movement. I used the Aquaseal 7.5m kit. This lad shows it being used:

We have that exact product that we used when we had our downstairs show done last year... so yes, that we will definitely be applying that. 

2 hours ago, Home Farm said:

I’ve found water damage already behind a section of wall tiles... by Saturday I hope to have everything fully gutted and will know the extent of what we’re dealing with.

Not as bad as it sounds - there was a gap of about 50mm between the plug outlet and the top of the pipe.

It is on a slab, so that had wet much of the tile screed. That came up anyway as we were retiling the floor with non-slip tiles, and a couple of days of one of my industrial dehumidifiers dried it out quite a bit. Since a screed was going back down, it would be rewet anyway.

IMG_0804-small.jpg

IMG_0809-small.jpg