Wash-hand basins: local instant water heater or not?

ToughButterCup

2 hours ago, JSHarris said:

T1010001.JPG

I have paid a personal pilgrimage to this holiest of shrines to self-build centralized manifoldness. It is a wondrous sight though at the time I could only comment on the colour of the floor tiles.

Edited by epsilonGreedy
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, JSHarris said:

... The other advantage of having all the hot and cold feeds coming from a manifold is that you can fit ball valves to the manifold outlets, so allowing individual pipes to be isolated at source.  This can be really handy when first commissioning things, as you can turn supplies on one at a time, check for leaks, function, etc, then move on to the next.  It also means that any feed can be isolated in the event of a leak, ...

Did you also fit isolators at the appliance end of each pipe?

Just now, epsilonGreedy said:

Did you also fit isolators at the appliance end of each pipe?

Yes, I did, just so I had the option to isolate close to taps etc and not have to drain out a pipe full of water.  The isolators at the manifold were mainly of use when commissioning, when it's handy to be able to finish one section, then test it, before moving on to another room.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

The isolators at the manifold were mainly of use when commissioning, when it's handy to be able to finish one section, then test it, before moving on to another room.

Sounds ideal for my incremental move in plan.

Gosh, been away fir a few hours and loads of input. I used the hep20 manifolds for both hot and cold to avoid one thing affecting another, fed from a 22mm main on each hot and cold. I did not use isolators just a gate valve before each manifold. All pipework in single lengths of plastic so no joins. 10mm to all basins hot and cold, 15mm to showers and bath and kitchen sink (in case flow was not enough). The cost of multiple pipe runs compared to tee, ing off was peanuts compared to overall build cost and the knowledge that joins/fittings were all accessible in case of problems was a no brainer.