New window under new structural beam

dannyboy123

I will try to make as much sense as I can and I hope this is in the correct section.

We are getting a single storey extension to the rear of the house.  We are designing an open plan kitchen and when the rear wall is removed a structural beam will be placed across the rear of the house. 

I am designing the kitchen and would like to place two windows above the work surface but I am worried that the one on the right will affect the strength of brickwork supporting the steel work above. If the windows are not directly below the new steel work is it ok? and is there any way widows can be placed below this steel work?

Thanks in advance, I have included a sketch to help with my explanation.

kitchen idea 1.PNG

All seems reasonable to me, essnetially you are creating a support column. You could even put in a single wide window with a suitable lintel above it and then the beam load comes down from above onto it - it all comes down to the structural design. We did something sort of like this, but we made it one big window and just used lintels to suit the job.

Looking at what you are planning I would say BC will ask for a structural engineers calc/detail - so go for what you want and have a SE design it and make sure your builder reads and understands it while quoting as the lintel may end up quite beefy and or the use of steels - I'd use steels.

Details you will need to spec up are the make up of the "column" you are creating which supports the beam above, and the insertion into it's side for the window lintel and making sure that the detail allows for adequate support from the column.

• Like 1

If I understand correctly your image shows the old corner of the house. Typically that end of the beam is carrying a lot of weight and is bearing onto quite a small footprint. Sometimes a pier or post is required in addition to a pad stone. It should be possible but certainly discuss with your SE. It might depend on the condition of the existing wall/bricks. The SE may also be concerned about racking or "disproportionate collapse" issues.

2 hours ago, Temp said:

If I understand correctly your image shows the old corner of the house. Typically that end of the beam is carrying a lot of weight and is bearing onto quite a small footprint. Sometimes a pier or post is required in addition to a pad stone. It should be possible but certainly discuss with your SE. It might depend on the condition of the existing wall/bricks. The SE may also be concerned about racking or "disproportionate collapse" issues.

Thanks, the structural cals has already being done. Your comment about alot of weight bearing on a small area was my concern and I'm not sure I want it to go back to structural and then building control. I might just take the hit and do it without any windows...just thought it might look better with windows. The extension will have 5.6m bifold doors and three large velux roof windows so it should be enough.