Garage door lintel, how many blocks high?

epsilonGreedy

After reading up on garage door heights I get the impression it is down to user preference. Now that one side of my door aperture garage is 8 blocks high I need to start considering my first lintel and whether it sits on a round number of blocks or whether some intermediate coursing bricks will be needed.

How high is your garage door lintel?

I am guessing 9 or 9.5 blocks is about right in the case where a sectional door will roll right above the top of the door aperture.

Depends on what you want and what height your roof is!, as I was building under permitted development my eaves were limited to 2.5m, but I had a 500mm roof overhang (to stop rain driving in when the door was open) also it allowed me to have a slightly higher door height. Door when open is same as bottom of facia board. Just measured it at 2.4m. My door was bespoke electric roller shutter so I could make the door what size I wanted.

If you are automating your door 

you need to consider the height from the bottom of the lintel to the underside of the trusses That will usually dictate your door opening height 

In our case we needed 350 for a roller shutter Which left us with 2250 opening height 

Rollers are nearly always custom sizes and are tolerant to variation in height of 80-150mm due to how they are designed. 

The size of the box is key, as is whether it is single skin or double skin as this can also have bearing on how the tracks are installed. A quick look at the specs and between 290-380mm seems to be the range of gap needed to the top of the opening from the bottom of the rafters. 

That equates to a block and coursing brick, to a block and two coursing bricks above your lintel. If you have 10 courses of block plus 2 coursing bricks to play with (perfect 2400 ceiling) then your lintel needs to be on course 9, leaving the blocks and coursing bricks above. Easier to do as a pair of coursing rows with a block final. 

That would give you an opening of 2025 for your garage door. That’s a gnats taller than a “standard” 6’6” garage door. 

• Like 1