MVHR and non opening windows

Is it allowed to have a house with MVHR and no opening windows (assuming no trickle vents)? I guess I'm asking if there has to be any provision for opening windows in case of MVHR breakdown.

The situation isn't quite that as 3 rooflights and one window will open but am planning on a couple of non opening windows (hard to access) and no opening window in bathroom (easier for me to make!).

16 minutes ago, jfb said:

Is it allowed to have a house with MVHR and no opening windows (assuming no trickle vents)? I guess I'm asking if there has to be any provision for opening windows in case of MVHR breakdown.

The situation isn't quite that as 3 rooflights and one window will open but am planning on a couple of non opening windows (hard to access) and no opening window in bathroom (easier for me to make!).

As far as ventilation goes then it's fine, but it might be hard to comply with Part B for some habitable rooms (not a bathroom) without some opening windows (needed for escape from fire usually).

• Like 1

Our BCO said "where is the air brick for the wood burner?".  I mentioned the MVHR vent in the ceiling, and he nodded and said OK. No mention of backup air supply in case of power cut etc

Edited by Temp

10 minutes ago, jfb said:

yes indeed - the two bedrooms have rooflights that comply with fire regs.  Good to know thanks.

It's not just bedrooms that are classified as habitable spaces. We had to have one "means of escape" window in each bedroom, study, main living area and utility room.

We chose to have opening windows in each of the bathrooms just in case the MVHR extraction struggled to deal with what @JSHarris describes as "malodourous" events ?