Electrical cable and start date?

Hi,

We are now making a start to our build. First thing is getting 550m of cable laid across of fields and woods . The cable alone is 14K + VAT. Can we reclaim this sort of thing or is it only items that are in the actual construction/renovation of barn?

Also do we have to notify the LPA of start date for this kind of work or in related to the VAT reclaim ?

Any ideas?

Thanks

Edited by gc100

That's a hell of a job. Are you digging a trench for the whole way? Have you looked in to a mole plough? Very fast and cheap if you can get access for a tractor and you've minimal utilities in the way. 

Just now, Conor said:

That's a hell of a job. Are you digging a trench for the whole way? Have you looked in to a mole plough? Very fast and cheap if you can get access for a tractor and you've minimal utilities in the way. 

Yes the whole way - we need to also lay a water pipe at the same time, and we need to leave inspect holes every 50m for the water board to sign off so I know think a mole plough would work. I did get some quotes but it was no cheaper than my man who does the digging.

No need to tell HMRC that you’ve started. As long as the PP is in place you can reclaim VAT for eligible materials at that point. HMRC will just check the PP when you send the reclaim in. 

If you have a CIL exemption then you will need to fill out the appropriate paperwork before you start any work and inform the LA. 

Worth reading through the VAT reclaim guide to ensure that everything is straight in your head before you start. Although it mainly focuses on new builds most of the detail covers conversions too. I think yours is a conversion so you will get charged 5% for labour that you can reclaim. New builds are zero rated and any VAT on labour cannot be reclaimed for a new build.