Window lintel height

Hi All,

After long thinking I am most likely to go for 2.6m  ceiling height.

I would like to ask other members what distance from the ceiling they would put the lintels for windows and French doors at that height.

Would you prefer the set up on the left or the one on the right?

The opening on the left would have lintel at 2330mm from the floor and about 270mm from the ceiling

The opening on the right would have lintel at 2220mm from the floor and about 370mm from the ceiling

The length of timber on the top is showing the wall plate.

I will appreciate any comments.

Lintel height.jpg

Edited by romario

Thank you Russell and Nod for your comments.

Both of you are right.

300mm between window and ceiling looks good and with standard ceiling height of 2400mm and standard door 2100mm all works perfect.

However, the reason I have increased the ceiling height and thinking of taller openings is that some of the rooms are quite deep and so to get more light specially through the open living to the kitchen (I've pasted the floor plan below)

Then with the increased ceiling to 2600mm if I go for standard 2100mm openings that will leave 500mm between the top of the openings and ceilings which I am worried that will look out of proportion.

Also will not meet the first objection to get more light further into the building.

Good point about the cost of 2300mm height doors.

They will need to be made to measure but there are 3 sets of French doors for the whole building so shouldn't be too much.

I will welcome any further comments.

Roundhouse floor plan with room dimensions.pdf