Heatproof Render

I am going to do some wood stove down time maintenance and I want to sort the inglenook - it is currently done in board which has cracked and looks a mess. 

I am going to pull the stove out, remove all the board and render it. There also appears to be a draught through one of the boards so I am not sure what that is about (chimney is full of vermiculite around the liner so cannot see if being a chimney draught - but maybe). So the render will also act as a better seal around everything. 

Been looking at options and have come up with a lime render as a good choice.

I am thinking 1:2:9 portland/lime/plastering sand - or just lime and sand - I was also tempted to add a dose of black tinter to it, if it drys a dark grey or black that would be fine - maintenance free.

Can anyone who has done this sort of thing before please comment - the good thing is that the render will have until probably late September until it is intermittently used, then full time by mid to end of October so the render is going to get to dry out well if I do this soon.

Another option is tile - anyone know about this option?

Thanks.

I’ve use the heat proof skim on top of cement boards One lady didn’t want a smooth finish So I used a sponge float to finish it with

The skim is black and drys dark grey 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, nod said:

I’ve use the heat proof skim on top of cement boards One lady didn’t want a smooth finish So I used a sponge float to finish it with

The skim is black and drys dark grey 

What was your skim product(s)?