Designing in Stack and Purge ventilation

Ferdinand

Perhaps suitable for the cooling season, does anyone have any systematic thoughts on this?

My little list of considerations.

Maintainabilty.

Ease of use.

Automated? Power opening and closing, but also detecting conditions.

Security. In sight or hidden?

Prevailiing winds.

Insects.

Interlock with air conditioning? (see - Tenants and District Heating victims cooling the house / flat by opening the window not turning it down)

Control systems that are obsolete in less than 10 years - simplicity or switches not whole house systems?

To me one idea is skylights easily openable at opposite ends of the prevailing wind direction.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

1 minute ago, AnonymousBosch said:

Simple, cheap, effective, easily regulated. One tilt window downstairs upwind: one velux upstairs downwind

I come close to that with a patio door on N side, and skylights on E side - but it needs a certain amount of juggling.

Sometimes works with an exposed door on the S side - but last night it would have been backwards and the warm side would have rushed in.

I did wonder if there is a separate thread about creating watery environments (eg water wall feature in your Winter Garden) which would work with airflow, and may have more effect on a low-E house as all the numbers are sometimes smaller. That may be a separate thread.

F