Attaching beam to restricted corner post

Evening all,

Hands up straight away to say I am a novice when it comes to this sort of stuff, so apologies in advance if this is a stupid question.

I am currently in the process of designing some raised decking for the garden, however am stuck with how i would attach the support beams to the corner posts, as i have restricted access to do so due to fencing being in the way.  Normally as i understand it, you would fix the 2x8 to the post with 100mm carriage bolts (red arrows on my diagram), however due to the limited access, i would need to go through the post first to then attach it to the 2x8 (black arrows on my diagram)

Is there an obvious answer here than i am missing?  I thought about skew screwing the carriage bolts but that doesn't feel to me that it shall be sturdy enough, therefore I figure there must be a better alternative option?

Really appreciate any guidance you can give me here

Ben

decking.JPG

Could you assemble the deck remotely, so that corner detail is screwed together first, and then you lift that corner of the deck, complete with the post into it's hole and concrete it in.

Alternatively is there enough access to drill through the post and the joists and bolt them with long bolts and nuts, with the nuts on the outside? i,e is there enough room to slide a nut into place and get a spanner on it?

You are incorrect in thinking you just fix them on with carriage bolts

the correct way is to notch the corner post so the joists sit on a bearing surface of the post, just relying on the carriage bolts is the reason decks fail, some with devastating consequences. 

Notch the corner posts and then the fixings become less important as they are not carrying a load, just holding in position. 

• Like 1

Gents,

thanks very much for your suggestions.  Dave - that thought actually came to me not long after i posted this and yep that would certainly do the job. Appreciate you taking the time to comment

Russell, yep totally appreciate that as a very viable option, that coupled with Dave's bolt suggestion to me feels like it would work quite well! again thanks for taking the time to comment!

Cheers!