Timber frame on top of cavity wall

oldkettle

I did something similar on my gable end.  I had ICF blocks though, but principal should be the same.

We attached a horizontal timber plate on to the inside wall and hung the floor joists from that on hangers.  Ours secured into the ICF concrete, yours would be the block work.

The timber wall section was formed of from 140x45 timber and external 9mm OSB.  The inside was spray foam insulated and then an VCL.  Externally glass wool was battened on, and a breather membrane.  Mine was wood clad.

Photos show, upper floor, on wall hanger plate, internal of timber frame gable, and external of wall once external insulation added and breather membrane installed.

Advantage of the above is no thermal bridges and continuity of insulation from ground to roof.

IMG_20210217_113752.jpg

IMG_20210210_104816.jpg

IMG_20210409_180947.jpg

Hi JohnMo,

Thanks for the response and interest. I am not sure how that applies directly to my query though. I dont want to site the ringbeam on the inner leaf (1st picture i inserted) as it creates a large void over the cavity that has to be spanned somehow to present a flush finish with the ground floor, essentially will need another brick course outer leaf, something i would like to avoid.

I would like to span the cavity with the floor joist if possible, then i can present the ring beam closer to the outside wall to batten/renderboard or woodfibre sheath and render.

I guess you have no cavity to span with ICF?

Edited by PhilC