colour+type of soil pipes underground

scottishjohn

a question to those that know 

is there any reason why you would fit solvent weld type pipes  over push fit when they seem to cost much more 

maybe mandatory if its a pumped line ?

or maybe in a septic tank drainage feld application 

Is there any stipulation on colour  as most seem to be brown ,but other colours available ,presuming they have BS cert 

Edited by scottishjohn

You shouldn't use solvent weld soil pipe underground, I believe, as underground soil pipes are subject to a degree of slight movement that can stress a solvent weld joint and cause it to crack.  I believe the rule is to always use push-fit soil pipes underground.

As for the colour, then the brown/orange underground pipe isn't UV resistant, so isn't supposed to be used above ground as the outer surface will degrade.  Black, grey or white soil pipe is UV resistant so can be used above ground. 

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, scottishjohn said:

that will explain why they are so much more expensive --adative for UV  protection

in that case always use black grids and connections at surface level then --not the brown one?

Yes, use the black, grey or white stuff anywhere it may be exposed to light, the brown stuff is fine underground or anywhere where it's not going to be exposed to light.  I have a run of the brown stuff as a soil stack, running up inside an insulated box in the house to the first floor, and it's fine for that.

14 minutes ago, Oz07 said:

Can brown be used below suspended floors with no light then? I've used befits 

As above, the brown stuff is fine under a suspended floor where it won't be exposed to light.

now i think about it Ihave an odd length of brown in the compound outside  and over the years, its been there for 10 at least it has faded in colour . but just went and jumped on   it

and it didn,t break even though its -2c 

I think your first thought on  movement underground and breaking bond is a good enough reason not use solvent bonded piping --

Edited by scottishjohn

7 hours ago, scottishjohn said:

maybe mandatory if its a pumped line ?

We have used 90mm black MDPE for this. Comes on a coil and difficult to manage without special equipment but OK on a hot day. We joined the lengths with a compression fitting.