New build in Hertfordshire

TFnovice

Hello all,

We're at the planning stage of a new build house in Hertfordshire and hoping to start on site this year.  It will be a timber frame with masonry external walls and a slate roof.  It won't be built to passive standards but will be well insulated with MVHR and possibly triple glazing.  I'm proposing to project manage it myself but won't be doing much if any of the hard work.

Having decided the basics (above), there seem to be so many different options/opinions on things like insulation and M&E that the information overload is leading to decision paralysis!  Hoping that the wealth of experience on here will help to solve that ... anyway, fingers crossed!

Welcome! The options available are extensive for sure but there are people with experience in just about everything here who are always happy to help. A good starting point would be to post a copy of the plans. 

Welcome to the forum @TFnovice. If your experience is like mine you'll find that the sun will rise on the complexities and you will eventually see a crystal clear view of the way ahead. It happened to me. It does take some time (and lots of reading).

I also recommend visiting other builds. That has been astoundingly helpful for me.

Thanks @Dreadnaught.  I think the learning curve will be steep and I'm expecting to make a few mistakes along the way (although that won't make them any less frustrating).  A great idea to visit other builds.  How does one go about finding those?

@TFnovice, to find other build to possibly visit, look at the blogs on here, choose the one's you think you could learn from, and message the authors privately asking if they might accept a visitor.

Recognise that some are very busy, especially those mid build. However I have found everyone without exception to be hugely generous with their time and I have learnt enormous amounts from each one of my visits.

I am immensely grateful and have met some splendid characters along the way (no names ;)).

2 minutes ago, TFnovice said:

Note from your profile you are looking for a site - still the case or have you found something?

Oh, its well out-of-date: I must update it. Thanks for spotting it. I've bought a plot, chosen my team and a TF supplier, and am just waiting for planners to give the thumbs up before starting everything.

• Like 1