council tax positive

I was first contacted by the rates department in March, before everything went  pear shaped, and said I hoped to move in in the summer and she  just asked me to let her know.

I had a call again this morning from a different person asking (nicely) for an update and had I moved in.  

I (very briefly) explained the situation, told him that I had services but no internal doors yet and that I hoped to move in before Christmas.  'OK' he said cheerfully, 'shall I put it down for the last Friday before Christmas, that's errrrrr the 21st Dec.'  Yes that's fine I said. 

I then told him that I had sold this house but that the sale was unlikely to go through before Christmas.  He told me I have a months grace and will only be charged rates on both premises if the sale hadn't gone through by 21 Jan.  He said it's unlikely the valuer will actually visit the property and that they have 90. days to do the valuation but that whenever it is done rates will be charged from the official moving in day.  I said that as it was in the garden I would be moving in gradually but wouldn't actually live there until 21st December and he said 'no problem'.  He then gave me his direct line number in case I needed it.

The building inspector for my insurance company (CRL) came round for his final inspection this week.  So somehow they are still trading. He was happy with the house, also (as many have) he praised the brickwork, so at least something good came out of my original builder.  He has just asked me to send pictures when the final details are completed (mainly the driveway) so all is well there.  

• Like 4