Framework EcoSteel

howplum

5 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

ICF, or block construction with EWI is one way to get a long decrement delay, but there are others, and concrete is far from being the only way to get a reasonably high decrement delay.  Finding information on the decrement delay of different build options isn't easy at all, but the shortest decrement delay insulation that's commonly used is probably PIR/PUR.  EPS and Icynene have between 1.5 and 2 times the decrement delay of PIR, dense rockwool, wood fibre and blown cellulose have between 2 and 3 times the decrement delay of PIR (all assuming the same overall thermal conductivity value).

To a certain extent, insulation materials with a higher lambda tend to also have a longer decrement delay, as well as insulation materials with a higher heat capacity also having a higher decrement delay.  It's the combination of the two that determines the overall figure, and, most importantly, it isn't just the insulation that is important in determining this, it's the entire build up of the structure, be it a wall or roof.

this is assuming you haave the space to fit enough rock  wool to get the "u" up to that required--which means very thick walls .

you will have me building a cob house next .LOL

26 minutes ago, scottishjohn said:

this is assuming you haave the space to fit enough rock  wool to get the "u" up to that required--which means very thick walls .

you will have me building a cob house next .LOL

I'm not trying to "make" you build anything, I'm only pointing out facts about the way heat transfers through structures, nothing more.  If your priority is the thinnest walls you can get, yet still have both a good level of insulation and a reasonably long decrement delay to give comfort, then something like ICF or EWI on single skin block probably gives the thinnest overall build up.  If wall thickness isn't as critical, then there are far more options, like building in block and brick and having a big cavity, around 200mm of so, filled carefully with whatever insulation you wish to use.  Using a slimmer insulated timber frame with a brick or block skin works reasonably well, too.

22 minutes ago, scottishjohn said:

your style of wood frame with wood cladding i just do not think is a good idea where I am --far too much humidity  all year round --even treated wood don,t last long#

Who's suggesting you do that?  I'd not build an all-timber house if I lived where you do, I'd probably opt for either ICF or EWI over single skin block, with a rendered external finish.