Economy 7 Meter Install

Barney12

A bit of Googling seems to suggest that some electricity suppliers charge for the install of a meter, others don't.

Has anyone changed suppliers just to get a free install? Worth the hassle?

My existing supplier doesn't offer an Economy 7 tariff so wont install a meter full stop.

Edited by Barney12

I am with green energy ( no standing charge as its a building site so far) and they charge £75 to change the meter to E7 which I will more than likely do ( when I get the blasted house finally built!!!!!!!). 

A lot of the electricity providers don't do meter installs.  You have to go to one of the big ones.  We've got electricity to our build and a meter box connected by Western Power.  We plan to use BGas to connect our electricity meter, but are in a hurry to do so since we will just get connection charges. (Since we're building our house at the the bottom of our garden, we are currently using extensions from our adjacent garden shed.) 

We've switch suppliers 5 times In our existing farmhouse (in 32 years), but we've only had one meter change and that was in the middle of a contract because the E7 switcher failed.

In the new house we will switch to Ovo or one of the other green tariff providers after our 12 month contract with BGas is up.