External fire doors & lead times

vivienz

A heads up on this one for anyone looking to source a fire door in the near future.

I need an FD30 external door to go between my utility and attached garage.  Aside from price (about which I have been sadly deluded!), the best lead time I've been quoted so far is 10 to 12 weeks.  I haven't contacted many suppliers yet, but it's not looking promising.

I'm going to see if there is a work-around in fitting a standard door with the right seals so that my air test can go ahead, then replace with a fire door before the building is signed off, but I need to check on this first.  Either way, I didn't see this one coming!

Okay, the situation goes from bad to worse.  I've just spoken to a UK manufacturer of fire doors and it seems that there is a general stop order from the UK government on fire doors right now as they are reviewing how they are manufactured and tested. Bugger!

1 minute ago, the_r_sole said:

have you left enough room for the full doorset, I'm sure there are some companies that will be carrying stock of door sets? or do you need a custom size?

if you have any contacts with contractors then ask them for a source...

Ringing around like mad this morning to see if I can get hold of something.  I can live with a longer lead time as long as I can get some sort of well-sealed door in place that will be sufficient for the air test.  I don't believe that it's a custom size, the opening is 900 x 2100.

Thanks, chaps, I believe I'm sorted and that the person who told me that there is a stop on manufacture was talking cobblers. 

I've spoken to some very helpful people at an outfit called Enfield Doors Ltd who manufacture fire doors and I'll be using them.  They even offer an express service for a 10% bribe, the door comes ready hung in the frame, delivered.  The door itself will have 2 coats of primer, ready for painting.

Phew!