Painting new MDF kitchen doors and draw fronts

8ball

Hello guys, I have installed my own kitchen apart from the cabinet draw fronts and doors which I am currently working on but they will need painting/spraying.

In the past I made some plantation shutters and used rustins MDF sealer then Rustins MDF primer and for the top coat I used  2/3 coats of Duluxe Diamond, they came out really well but I am looking for a paint finish that is a bit more hard wearing for the kitchen.

I was thinking about using some kind of clear top coat that would give another layer of protection to the paint but its hard to work out if clear top coats will actually effect the paint layer underneath due to reactions in the compounds of the products.

Also I am seeing that it would be a waste of time using an expensive paint such as Duluxe Diamond if its going to be covered with a clear top coat over it, surely the top coat does all the work of protecting so the paint underneath can be a lesser quality paint than D Diamond.

I would appreciate any advice as I really don't have that much experience of creating a resilient paint surface.

Cheers ?

29 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Dulux have just changed the name of their Diamond range so its appearing in the clearance places. I've bought 5l of Diamond Satinwood for £40, instead of the £92+VAT that it is in most places...

Its a really really good paint just need to make it a bit tougher for the kitchen.