General roofing questions & roof images wanted...

Hi all, I am currently constructing a 30° pitched garage roof (this can be seen over on the garage build). Pretty simple design, 4 trusses, purlins and rafters over the purlins, 11mm OSB over the rafters, I have started sheeting it from the ridge down to within a half sheet of the bottom of the rafters where I will hold of until I confirm the next bits and pieces such as how big I want the overhang etc.

So my next stages include boxing out the lookouts for the gable end overhangs, fit fascia boards etc. cut the rafters with a straight face to my required length to get the overhang I want etc. and obviously finish sheeting it up.

So here are my questions:

1. Does the roofing sheet come down and over the top of the fascia board, with the roofing membrane running down over this joint and into the gutter, the tile then overhangs over the lot of it?

2. I was going to use a eaves guard, so following on from above, it must sot over the fascia board as it drips into the gutter - should I use these or is it not needed?

3. I note on images and roof I have seen being installed locally often a rooming batten is mounted at the very bottom of the rafter which the last tile sits on, is this correct and if so what about the increased gap it creates at the bottom - is this not a possible wind blown water issue?

4. On the gable ends I have a 200mm overhang, I have not sheeted right to the edge yet as the way it has been laid out in full sheets my cut sheets will go on last, do I take these up to the edge of the rafter or do I overlap the thickness of the barge boards? 

5. Does the roofing membrane return down over the barge boards and assuming I use a painted wood or PVC barge board would I simply allow the membrane to come down the face of the board slightly then it will be dressed with a dry verge, so any water that gets under the tile will run down the roof or over to the end, down onto the barge board (behind the dry verge) and down causing no damage?

Now lastly I need to order all my roofing materials, roofing is probably the one trade that I have never had to do, so although it is not rocket science I appreciate there are a lot of roofing supplies out there, from vented ridge systems and all sorts, I understand it is fairly simple and from the limited details available online I have pieced it all together but I just want to check my shopping list and not end up with incorrect things or things I don't need etc. On my list so far I need to order battens (I will use vertical and horizontal), tiles, ridge tiles a dry verge system and either wood to paint for my fascias and soffits or PVC stuff, I thought eaves protectors too. Is there anything else I should be considering? Does anyone else have a garage roof shopping list they could share with me?

Last of all, does anyone have decent images of their roofing construction, I am looking for photos showing the rafter ends, gable ends and how these details are all formed up.

Thanks

Edited by Carrerahill
spelling

Hi,

I wonder whether you could consider chunking your post into smaller bits. It's easier for us to reply. As written, it's a fairly daunting list.....

1 hour ago, Carrerahill said:

Hi all, I am currently constructing a 30° pitched garage roof

[...]

does anyone have decent images of their roofing construction, I am looking for photos showing the rafter ends, gable ends and how these details are all formed up.

I am completely new to roofing , I found the NHBC guidance to be a big help. It's also available as a pdf