I bumped into this today.....

Technically, the council official’s ace correct, they are there to stop the elected but ‘un-informed’ councillors from doing what they are not allowed to do!  They need to update their building regulations or have a local by-law that enforces higher standards of building regulations.

However I agree with the councillors on their wishes, they have just gone about it the wrong way, which, I am sorry to say, is typical of elected officials!

How wonderful to see officials wanting things done the correct way, and being willing to stand up to "ends justify the means" Councillors making category errors.

That is important because it is very very difficult stopping Councils who are doing things unlawfully without laying out 10-50k in the High Court.

If this was done over here in the area of rental law, a lot of the inappropriate things shoehorned into Landlord Licensing for the sake of it would be out, and many tenants thousands of tenants would be saved a couple of hundred a year in futile bureaucracy cost.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand