Hot water system ideas

Copied over from EB. Formatting to be done ASAP, just grabbing content for now ;)

Hot Water System Idea

Started by vijay 28 Jan 2016 05:56 PM

• Register (at top of page) to post reply
28 replies to this topic

#1vijay

• default_large.png
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 05:56 PM

I have an idea for my heating system for both domestic hot water and also for the UFH and just wanted it to run it by you guys for thoughts.

I’ll be looking for a well-insulated air tight build in ICF and the build will be around 700m2 over 3 floors and also a large attached garage with a room above. I plan to use UFH throughout (although I will have to decide if I actually need it on the first and second floor as there is a galleried landing and there is a pretty good flow through the house).

I have gas so will have a combi boiler fitted but my idea is to use PV and also a WBS with back boiler to heat the water. The WBS won’t be located in the house but will be in the garage so to not overheat the house. I plan to use offcuts of logs and sawdust that I can get for nothing and are discarded.

I’m thinking I would use a large thermal store which can be located under the stairs and will be pretty central. I also wondered if there is any advantage to a second hot water tank in the loft where excess hot water can flow up to and also give me gravity pressure to the taps?

Could that work?

Cheers

Vijay 

#2Nickfromwales

Short cuts take three times longer.....Fact

• photo-thumb-23654.jpg?_r=1386628166
  • Moderators
  • staff.png
  • 8,182 posts
  • LocationSouth Wales

Posted 28 January 2016 - 06:07 PM

Open tank for Gravity hot water is a no go. Too many losses and poor pressure unless you fit noisy pumps. 
I'd fit the TS in the garage and run pipes in a trench to the house, as I've done in the past, and incorporate a hot rerun circuit to give instant hot water to each outlet. 
The Pv will offset the losses and the extra space and zero latent heat influx by not having a cylinder in the house will be big positives imho. 
The gas would be to a system boiler, rather than a Combi would it not as your dhw would be provided by the TS :)
Regards, Nick. 

Edited by Nickfromwales, 28 January 2016 - 06:08 PM.

#3gravelld

• default_large.png
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 06:08 PM

Do you have any target heat loss figures and also DHW requirement (which might imply the TS sizing and therefore heat contribution)? "Well insulated" means anything from a modern volume house builder noddy box to... an _actually_ well insulated house.

In the latter case, many complain that heat loss from the TS is significant.

There are the new PCM heat stores to consider. 

#4alexphd1

• photo-thumb-25244.jpg?_r=1433431834
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 06:12 PM

How simple things would be to have mains gas on site. Small system boiler and large s/s unveiled cylinder. 
Have you calculated out the heat requirements? 
Is the thermal store in the thermal envelope of the building? 

#5alexphd1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 06:28 PM

I am building a very similar house (large icf to a passive standard) and went through the idea of a log gasification boiler in the garage. I came to the conclusion the extra cost, efficiency loss in the system to accommodate large accumulator and work involved in lighting/cleaning the boiler it wasn't worth it. I even figured out how to import a cheap boiler and get it on to the RHI. In the end I have concentrated on getting heat demand down and picked up a 14kw ashp for £1k on fleeBay. 

#6vijay

• default_large.png
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 07:06 PM

Nick,

I was thinking of a vented tank in the loft as the second tank rather than open (or did you mean vented?)

I'd prefer not to have the thermal store in the garage if possible. Could the latent heat not be vented trough the MVHR during the summer?

The reason I thought more of a combi is it's more of a back up than used every day, as my way of heating would be the WBS and PV - although I admit to not considering summer when I wouldn't have the WBS on but would obiously still need DHW.

Gravelld,

No I haven't got any figures yet. Are they given by the SAP accessor? An issue I have is I will be living on my own there but need to future proof it, so any systems I put it will be overkill for me but suitable for a family.

The house will be an actual well insulated in ICF U value of 0.15 and tripple glazing.

Alexphd1,

Yes I as thinkin the thermal store would be in the thermal envelope under the stairs 

#7alexphd1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 08:02 PM

the sunamp heat battery could be good solution for your thermal store but its not exactly cheap! Other guys on here have 1st hand experience and I myself will be keeping an eye on their report. 
I wouldn't rely on a MVHR to cool down a area with a thermal store.
Again you have mains gas, I wish I had. 

#8vijay

• default_large.png
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 09:17 PM

I would rather run off grid as much as I possibly can though, hence the WBS/back boiler and PV/immersion heaters 

#9jsharris

Please ignore all posts by me, some are erroneous

• default_large.png
  • Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts
  • LocationWiltshire/Dorset border

Posted 28 January 2016 - 10:34 PM

I can positively confirm that MVHR won't get rid of the waste heat from a thermal store in summer. I got rid of our thermal store, in a new build, because try as I might I couldn't find a way to cope with the excess heating effect in summer. The waste heat actually cracked the oak door to the service room and over heated the adjacent bedroom. I tried adding loads of extra insulation to the thermal store, but it still leaked a lot of heat.

I've replaced it with a Sunamp PV, which seems to have a very low heat loss, certainly massively less than the thermal store we sold on ebay. 

#10vijay

• default_large.png
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 10:55 PM

and IIRC from your post, it was from the store and not any pipework wasn't it? How hot did the service room get with the door closed????

Just had another thought, would this be another reason for a second hot tank/thermal store which is much smaller, so it could be used in summer and the main large store closed off? Or just use a combi for summer DHW on demand or have the combi just top up a smaller hot water store which is heated by PV in the summer? (or would that PV heated water feed into the combi, so the combi just tops the already heated water up if need be) 

Edited by vijay, 28 January 2016 - 11:00 PM.

#11Triassic

Advanced Member

• photo-thumb-24200.gif?_r=1459342891
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts
  • LocationCumbria

Posted 28 January 2016 - 11:01 PM

Hi Vijay, I think you need to slow down a bit. Before you do any sort of design you need to know the size of your heating requirement and your SAP assessment should give you this. The other alternative is the look for a copy of Jdharris's heat loss spreadsheet, it's on here somewhere! Fill that in and come back with the results. 

I have a feeling that if you get the building air tight and well insulated, a lot if the kit you are suggesting will be obsolete.

#12vijay

• default_large.png
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 11:14 PM

Hi Triassic,

These are just ideas that I've had and I promise my first priority is getting the envelope done right first. I'll be in the house well before I fit any heating so will get a fair idea of how warm/cold it feels. 

I guess the difficulty for me is not getting my head around a well insulated airtight house as I've only lived in old draughty ones - I hope I'm in for a big shock!!! lol 

#13jsharris

• default_large.png
  • Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 11:18 PM

View Postvijay, on 28 January 2016 - 10:55 PM, said:

and IIRC from your post, it was from the store and not any pipework wasn't it? How hot did the service room get with the door closed????

Just had another thought, would this be another reason for a second hot tank/thermal store which is much smaller, so it could be used in summer and the main large store closed off? Or just use a combi for summer DHW on demand or have the combi just top up a smaller hot water store which is heated by PV in the summer? (or would that PV heated water feed into the combi, so the combi just tops the already heated water up if need be)

The service room got to over 40 deg C in summer and almost all the heat loss was from the thermal store, rather than the pipework, I took thermal images of it to check.

A combi and Sunamp PV with PV panels on the roof and an excess power diverter would be a good option. 

#14alexphd1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 11:28 PM

I can second the difficulty in getting your head around such a small heating demand for such a large house. 

#15vijay

• default_large.png
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 10:45 AM

It's almost a dream to think of a warm house!! 

#16sketch3d

• default_large.png
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
  • LocationMilton Keynes

Posted 29 January 2016 - 11:10 AM

Just another thought,
IF mains pressure is good, what about inline point of use electric hot water heaters. I know some landlords who swear by them, but have no experience of what they are like in practical use.

Advantages I can see are that
- There would be be no need for a storage tank.
- Only cold water need be routed through the house.
- Less water wastage waiting for hot water to come out of the taps.
- Cheaper to replace than boilers particularly in hard water areas where heat boiler exchangers furr up. ScrwFix around £140 per unit for a Redring brand.
- The house underfloor heating this then charged with a gas combi-boiler doing less work.

Disadvantages that come to mind would be where to site the unit in each room requiring hot water. They aren't pretty. 

#17gravelld

• default_large.png
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 11:51 AM

Jeremy wrote the book on them (see his blog), but you can get modulating ones which would also work alongside other heat sources which would provide the pre-heat.

I'd like to see how to design such a system, given DHW requirement, storage technology, other inputs, flow rates and also electrical limitations (single/3 phase). 

Edited by gravelld, 29 January 2016 - 11:52 AM.

#18AliG

• default_large.png
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 12:31 PM

Hi Vijay,
What you are building sounds very similar to my place in terms of size and U-Values. Jeremy's heat loss calculator predicted that I only need around 5kw of heat input when it is 0C outside. This is probably negligible relative to what you are used to. If you ran everything off gas you would be talking about maybe £800 a year of which half would be for hot water.

I expected to use a similar system you with a TS and solar thermal. Eventually, however, I changed to a UVC and system boiler with solar PV which can provide extra DHW when the heating isn't being used.

UVC's seem to be cheaper than TS, and a straightforward system boiler is cheap and also importantly an easily serviceable and replaceable item. When I did the calculations I was only looking at heating costs in the few hundreds per year using gas so the cost of expensive equipment was just wasted. I note that you do say you have a supply of free wood, so you could make it work, but I doubt you would save much after the extra capital costs and I am not sure how much hassle filling it up would be. You could use an ASHP for such a modest heat requirement but again they cost somewhat more than a system boiler and with the premium of electricity to gas don't save any money on running costs. They also get less efficient if you want to use them to heat water and in the winter when it is coldest. Half your heating requirement will likely be hot water.

I had the same issue as you with would I actually need UFH in the whole house. My suspicion is that the ground floor would be enough, but for the risk of upsetting my wife and the fact that I couldn't rectify it easily if it was a problem I went for ground and first floor with nothing in the top floor which is under the roof. People may also find it odd if you ever want to sell the house. As I understand it a well insulated house is likely to get very hot under the roof as the heat rises. I think some people have gone for the option of putting in the pipework but not connecting it up.

UVC produce pressurised hot water so can be anywhere in the house, I kept it on the ground floor as they are large and heavy and it will make it a lot easier if it ever needs to be replaced. I would size it up depending on how many showers you could have being used simultaneously. I went for 500l as it doesn't really add much cost to have a larger one and it makes life a lot easier when people come to stay. The ability to heat DHW quickly is more likely to drive the size of your boiler than the amount of heating your house needs.

If you are planning on having a fireplace, I have found that the large wall inset balanced flue fires that I had assumed I would install produce way too much heat for the house and you have to take this into consideration.

My in-laws have in line electric water heaters and they work fantastically well, but depending on your hot water usage the cost to heat it would probably be 3x higher using electricity after taking into account the lower amount of pipe losses. If you are putting in a boiler anyway I don't really see the benefit. You might consider a circulating hot water loop depending on the length of your hot water pipe runs. 

#19alexphd1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 12:45 PM

I don't know if they would work with pre heated water but a gas water heater could be a option instead of electric.
I.e Worcester greenstar hotsprings cwi47. Over 20L @ 35'c rise. 

#20joe90

• photo-thumb-23647.jpg?_r=1413476380
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 01:09 PM

Electric inline heaters work with warmed/ heated water if they modulate. I plan using one as back up. 

ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

default_large.png

Hot Water System Idea

Started by vijay 28 Jan 2016 05:56 PM

• Register (at top of page) to post reply
28 replies to this topic

#21stones

Advanced Member

• photo-thumb-25238.png?_r=1442073620
  • Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts
  • LocationOrkney

Posted 29 January 2016 - 01:13 PM

I've decided to wire and plumb for an inline heater so it can be easily retrofitted, as a just in case. 

#22gravelld

• default_large.png
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 01:46 PM

View PostAliG, on 29 January 2016 - 12:31 PM, said:

My in-laws have in line electric water heaters and they work fantastically well, but depending on your hot water usage the cost to heat it would probably be 3x higher using electricity after taking into account the lower amount of pipe losses. If you are putting in a boiler anyway I don't really see the benefit. You might consider a circulating hot water loop depending on the length of your hot water pipe runs.
You need to consider the standing loss too, which is by far the bigger loss (assuming water is being stored, which I think it is in this case).

So to heat the hot water tank for our 2 yo's evening bath takes 30mins at the moment. This is done immediately prior to the bath so minimises standing loss. So this is best case:

30mins * 3kW immersion = 1.5kWh

But it takes two or three minutes to fill the bath (actually I haven't timed it, so that might be inaccurate. It's only to above knee level, sitting down):

3mins * 9kW = 0.45kWh

Back of a fag packet... You'd also hope that 9kW would modulate down with PV input into the stored water. And in less ideal situations than on-demand immersion boosting, you'll have a lot more standing loss. 

Edited by gravelld, 29 January 2016 - 01:48 PM.

#23jsharris

• default_large.png
  • Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 03:24 PM

Yes, standing heat losses, particularly with a recirculating hot water system, can often be nearly as great as the actual hot water usage. Although instant heaters use full price electricity, there is a substantial saving in energy because they are almost loss free.

As above, if combined with low temperature pre-heat from an ASHP or similar, and, perhaps, a phase change heat store if you have PV, then you can reduce the energy used by the instant heaters a great deal. 

#24gravelld

• default_large.png
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 04:18 PM

Why PCM only if you have PV? Could be used with other inputs, right? 

#25jsharris

• default_large.png
  • Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 04:34 PM

Yes, sorry, any electrical input could be used at the moment, and I would guess that the ability to use a hot water input may well be around before too long. 

#26gravelld

• default_large.png
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 04:38 PM

I noticed Sunamp aren't the only game in town. Home Building and Renovation had a hot water feature two episodes back (only just catching up). Frustratingly, other than including a picture of a PCM store from a manufacturer I forget the name of, PCM isn't mentioned in the article. Instead, the article comes to the surprisingly deterministic conclusion that "you should buy a thermal store"! 

#27jsharris

• default_large.png
  • Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 04:51 PM

It doesn't surprise me that others are around. I remember discussing PCM heat storage several years ago on the other place, and I think someone there mentioned a paraffin wax thermal store that was either in development or perhaps just a prototype. 

#28Alphonsox

Advanced Member

• photo-thumb-24011.jpg?_r=1383856695
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,495 posts
  • LocationCounty Down, NI and Forest of Dean, England

Posted 29 January 2016 - 05:03 PM

View Postgravelld, on 29 January 2016 - 04:38 PM, said:

I noticed Sunamp aren't the only game in town. Home Building and Renovation had a hot water feature two episodes back (only just catching up). Frustratingly, other than including a picture of a PCM store from a manufacturer I forget the name

Begetube - based on hydrate salt (sodium acetate trihydrate) apparently. I think this is the same stuff they use in hand-warmer pads

Edited by Alphonsox, 29 January 2016 - 05:16 PM.

#29jsharris

• default_large.png
  • Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 05:27 PM

View PostAlphonsox, on 29 January 2016 - 05:03 PM, said:

Begetube - based on hydrate salt (sodium acetate trihydrate) apparently. I think this is the same stuff they use in hand-warmer pads

Basically the same stuff that's in the Sunamp modules, too. I remember looking at how to use Sodium Acetate practically when we were discussing PCMs on the other place, and thinking that the key was how to trigger nucleation and how to "untrigger" it.