Makita Battery Graft

Onoff

I've a number of old 18V cordless tools, different makes, bought years ago. Generally Nicad batteries that won't hold much of a charge any longer.

Grinder

Jigsaw

Circular saw

Hedge trimmer

Recip saw (might be 24V?)

To be fair some just keep on going BUT the tools other than the hedge trimmer don't get used as the 3,5 or even 8hr charge times are a pain. For instance this circular saw. Bought for £24 c/w two batteries when Do It All / Focus closed down locally and became Wickes. Lightweight and actually pretty useful:

2018-05-26_09-57-44

The batteries, no doubt Chinese in origin at first glance all appear the same but there's subtle differences at best. If the + and - terminals are the same and the tower section with the orientation rib fits it might be the locking clips don't quite line up. In some cases the battery will fit but the terminals are opposed.

So I got to thinking. Buy some of these Makita USB adapters from China for about £9ea.

1712178327_s-l400(1).jpg.3652742066eca4b63304898b9d5c7bc0.jpg

s-l400.jpg.c57f7cd6a4ca88a638e3cee5a55174a7.jpg

Then remove the insertable bit from the Nicad battery and graft to the Makita adapter possibly with the belt clip cut off. Happy days, use with abandon with Makita Li-ion batteries.

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dual-Usb-Power-Charger-Adapter-Converter-W-belt-Clip-For-Makita-Adp05-Lxt-Li-ion/123089332675?hash=item1ca8b229c3:g:GQIAAOSwoT1a2eS-

I reckon it'll work but is there something about Li-ion tools whereby some intelligent circuitry in the tool stops the battery being completely discharged and thus protecting the battery?

Edited by Onoff