rear porch ideas needed...

We are knocking out the wall between the kitchen and dining to make one big space but SWMBO wants a porch. Its a good idea as it will stop walking in to the new room directly from outside and i'm sure will be under permitted development.

Probably just enough to cover the current outside stairs but what design...?

I'm attracted to cedar cladding but maybe just pain old brick. Its more functional than for the look given its a bog standard semi, however as we are on a hill it will be quite noticeable.

Ive seen some pics on pintrest but anyone any ideas?

Porch_1.thumb.jpg.aeadd83a4d460ae08b92e690d8124fd8.jpgsample.jpg.76d2e7293296399af127416fae4dc98c.jpg

You'll need to consider that downpipe, the electric outlet for the outside light and the two vents. Which way is south? I'd take the new roof up higher so you can look out of the old back door through a skylight over the lower outside rear door. But that might block some light into the rear downstairs window? The photo example you have is nice, the level change would need to be looked at and it's very modern compared to the dashing on the rest of the house.....

Maybe a twin ramp with a railing outside the new rear door? ramp - level area with railing opposite new outside rood - ramp? Do you step down inside the new porch or outside it? Will the new door open inwards or outwards? 

Lots to think about! 

Edited by mike2016

2 hours ago, mike2016 said:

You'll need to consider that downpipe, the electric outlet for the outside light and the two vents. Which way is south? I'd take the new roof up higher so you can look out of the old back door through a skylight over the lower outside rear door. But that might block some light into the rear downstairs window? The photo example you have is nice, the level change would need to be looked at and it's very modern compared to the dashing on the rest of the house.....

Maybe a twin ramp with a railing outside the new rear door? ramp - level area with railing opposite new outside rood - ramp? Do you step down inside the new porch or outside it? Will the new door open inwards or outwards? 

Lots to think about! 

Ah cheers Mike,

Plan is to have it level with present floor, so, new outside steps to the side of the porch.

New outside door will open inwards bit existing back door replaced to open outwards