Quality door latches

chrisb

We've been fitting internal doors (nothing special, 6 panel type), but the latches I picked up from Toolstation are rubbish. They have up to 3mm of play in the moving part of the latch which means that it often doesn't engage with the strike plate when the door is closed. Without ordering a whole load of others, or driving round every DIY shed in town, can anyone recommend a better product +/- supplier?

Ironmongery Direct - the basic ones are pretty good, they do a kit now and then with the latch and hinges free with the handles and not had a problem. 

Howdens also do decent ones one but silly money unless you have an account. 

1 hour ago, PeterW said:

Ironmongery Direct - the basic ones are pretty good, they do a kit now and then with the latch and hinges free with the handles and not had a problem. 

Howdens also do decent ones one but silly money unless you have an account. 

@PeterW I've PM'd you if you want to invite me to Ironmongery Direct - it seems they have a referral bonus scheme.

I have 'access' to a Howdens account, so could go down that route, but a quick browse on ID seems like they have plenty to offer with decent reviews.

• Thanks 1

We used Ironmongery Direct for hinges and latches on all the internal doors, including their heavy duty stainless ball bearing hinges .  I was pretty impressed with the quality, the only thing I wasn't impressed with were the screws supplied, so I used some decent quality stainless ones instead of the ones supplied.  IIRC, the main issue was that the heads had the slim cross head profile that's neither Phillips not Posidriv, so they were a pain to use.