GSE Solar Panel Trays - Order of Install?

Barney12

Just a quick question for those that have used trays......

im trying (and failing!) to co-ordinate my local builder/roofer and the sparky to finish the roof elavation with the Pv panels on.

Order of install from reading the guide from GSE is:

Additional batons.

Trays.

Flashings.

Panels.

Tiles and then ridge detail.

What I was trying to avoid was getting the builder back twice but if I tile before final fitting of the panels I guess he's going to have issues with cable routing?

On a relatively small roof with a large area of panels I also fear that my builder will be clumsy if he comes after the sparky to tile.

Thoughts?

I decided not to follow that order, because both I and the PV supplier felt there was a strong risk of the roofers damaging the panels.

What we did was fit everything, including the cabling, trays and flashing, then fitted the slates and then the PV company came back and fitted and connected the panels.  It worked well, and presented no problems at all for anyone.

43 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

I decided not to follow that order, because both I and the PV supplier felt there was a strong risk of the roofers damaging the panels.

What we did was fit everything, including the cabling, trays and flashing, then fitted the slates and then the PV company came back and fitted and connected the panels.  It worked well, and presented no problems at all for anyone.

You've confirmed my exact thoughts. Thank you.

12 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

How are the modules fitted to the roof trays?  Is it with clamps and bolts from above, like a normal PV to rail system?

Yes. Exactly that. The clamps screw down through the trays and into correctly spaced roofing battens. 

I'm currently trying to sort out this particular problem.

What battens are you getting?  

Counter battens - 2*2 or 2*1

Slate battens - 2*1

My PV guys are saying they would just come and fit everything and then the roofer can take over.  But i'm not sure about that.

2 minutes ago, DeeJunFan said:

Slate battens - 2*1

My PV guys are saying they would just come and fit everything and then the roofer can take over.  But i'm not sure about that.

2x1 slate battons. The roof is already felted (traditional felt due to ecology rules!) and battened at the correct guage for the slate. Additional battens will be added to suit the landscape panels. The supplied screw/bolts supplied by GSE have a 55mm thread depth. With the clamp, tray and gasket I'm still slightly concerned they will penetrate the bottom of the batten but the supplier said they are fine which does stack up as the system can be retrofitted. 

I'd be interested to hear what other people have found. 

13 minutes ago, DeeJunFan said:

Slate battens - 2*1

Our roof has 50 x 25 counter battens at 400 centres, then 50 x 25 battens at the slate pitch (off the top of my head around 170mm IIRC).  The GSE trays fit directly to the slate battens, and in my case the spacing was such that we didn't need additional battens where the trays were fitted.

We had the frame company fit the counter battens, membrane and battens, on the pitch I specified (including the shorter pitch for the starters at the eaves, to get the overhang).  The PV company then came and fitted the trays, cabling and flashing, then the roofers came and fitted the slates, then the PV company came back, fitted and wired the panels, connected things up and commissioned the system.,

Guest Alphonsox
1 hour ago, DeeJunFan said:

Slate battens - 2*1

I'm still getting the story that the GSE is not currently approved for use in Northern Ireland.