Advice on LED lighting

Jude1234

We are getting close to first fix and need to decide on lighting solutions. We are probably going with wall lights for lounge family room bedrooms etc and spotlights for kitchen and open plan areas.  Any tips on what works well or doesn't?  Any recommendations for suppliers? 

Hi. We're just second fixing.  In the lounge, rather than wall lights for 'mood lighting' we've put in three 5 amp sockets in strategic locations for table/standard lamps switched by a dimmer switch on the wall (which was an idea I picked up from someone on here or the previous site, thanks!).

Where we do have wall lights, I've bought some simple ceramic up/down-lighter fittings that are painted the same colour as the wall - they don't chuck out much light, but should be plenty to find where you put your beer down and won't break the bank if I change them at a later date. 

I've largely steered towards fittings that take bulbs rather than 'integrated' led fittings to give me some more flexibility on brightness, colour temperature and dimmability if I don't get it right first time.  I'm rapidly developing a preference for the cool white (4000k) and daylight (6500k) bulbs rather than the warm/yellow tones.

When you say 'spotlights', do you mean spots, or downlights?  Just need to consider fire rating if downlights.

For downlights, I love the Collingwood H2 Pro 700 -- they dim down to a flicker-free spark of light.

For dimmers, the Zano ZBAR remote dimmer works well, allowing multi-point dimming from any switch position. I use it with retractive up/down switches, but you can also do it with conventional-looking rotary controls. Either way, you just use regular 3&earth.

What service cavity or room do you have for recessed lights. Some lights are very deep. If you've only a 35mm service zone like me in some areas due to head height in existing build it limits your selection. If you've 60mm or above you'll have a greater choice.